Mother of Miami Carol City Senior High School student accused of attacking girl at school

A woman whose daughter attends Miami Carol City Senior High School in Miami Gardens was arrested Tuesday, a day after she attacked a teenager in the school’s parking lot during dismissal, police said.

According to an arrest report, the victim was on her iPhone 6 when she was attacked by Ernstlatta LaFrance, 30, who repeatedly punched the victim in the face and pulled her hair.

Police said the victim dropped her cellphone and LaFrance picked it up and drove away.

The victim, who told police that LaFrance was upset about an altercation involving the victim’s sister and LaFrance’s daughter, said she drove to LaFrance’s home in Opa-locka to confront her about taking the phone.

When the victim pulled up to LaFrance’s home in the 2200 block of Northwest 136th Terrace, LaFrance struck the victim’s right hand with a stick, breaking the girl’s middle finger, the report said.

Police said someone who was at LaFrance’s home fired two shots but didn’t strike anyone.

According to the arrest report, LaFrance posted about the fight on Facebook and “warned those messing with her daughter to beware.”

Police said LaFrance bragged about beating up the victim and said two black eyes was not the end of it and she would use a gun next time.

The victim was taken to Pembroke Pines Urgent Care to be treated for her injuries.

According to a Facebook page appearing to belong to LaFrance’s daughter, LaFrance was outraged after her daughter was jumped by a group of girls.

“Ian (sic) arguing with nobody!!! Cause if yo child got jumped and maced by like 20 girls u will do the same,” the post read.

Another Facebook post from a man who appeared to be the girl’s father was apologetic about the incident.

“Pray for my daughter and her mother for the wrong decision they made yesterday,” he posted on Tuesday. “No one is perfect. The worst done happen, now pray for the best. God know(s) how to handle this. I would like to apologize to (the) girl’s family.”

Police said LaFrance refused to open the door for a detective on the day of the fight when he tried to interview her.

She surrendered to authorities the next day and was taken to the Miami-Dade Schools Police Investigative Division before she was taken to the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center.

“This type of behavior and conduct — an adult violently battering a minor — is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at our schools,” Miami-Dade Schools Police Chief Ian Moffett said in a statement. “We thank the community and all those who provided valuable information, making it possible for our detectives to take the adult into custody and face the criminal justice system. This unfortunate incident reminds us that it is important for parents and adults to model the type of behavior we want to see in our children.”

LaFrance appeared in court Wednesday, where she was ordered held in lieu of a $7,500 bond. She was also issued a stay-away order for the victim.

“You need to stay away from Carol City High School unless you are with your child at a school event,” the judge told LaFrance.

LaFrance faces charges of burglary with assault or battery, strong-arm robbery and child abuse.

Follow this story

Hialeah teen to possibly be sent to Apalachicola youth camp for stabbing

The father of a 17-year-old boy accused of stabbing another teenager earlier this month outside a Hialeah Wendy’s restaurant appeared Wednesday in juvenile court to give Judge Angelica Zayas an update on his son’s mental health evaluations.

Yosiris Fernandez is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon for allegedly stabbing Eduardo Rivero, 18, during a fight March 9 outside the fast-foot restaurant.

Rivero, who was stabbed in the back, spoke to Local 10 News outside the courthouse after the hearing.

“Sometimes I can’t bend over too much. It kind of hurts when I run, you know, small things,” Rivero said.  

The melee was captured on surveillance video outside the Wendy’s in Hialeah shortly after school let out.

Rivero said he didn’t know the suspect and was trying to get his friend to leave the restaurant when the fight broke out.

Fernandez turned himself in to police not long after the stabbing.

Zayas addressed Fernandez’s family in court and spoke about the 17-year-old possibly attending a youth camp in Apalachicola. She said she would need doctors’ reports before that could happen. 

Meanwhile, Rivero is still upset about the incident.

“I don’t know why he did it,” Rivero said. “Why couldn’t he just put the knife down and fight me like a real man?”

It’s still unclear whether Fernandez, who remains in custody, will be charged as an adult. His next court hearing is scheduled for April 18.

Follow this story

Former ‘Cane, NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin accused of rape at Fort Lauderdale hotel

Former Miami Hurricanes wide receiver and NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin is under investigation by Fort Lauderdale police after a woman claimed that Irvin raped her at the W hotel, TMZ Sports first reported.

Fort Lauderdale police confirmed Wednesday that they are investigating the current NFL Network analyst for a sexual battery incident reported March 22 at the hotel in the 400 block of North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard.

They did not release any other details about the incident.

TMZ Sports reported that a 27-year-old woman went to Irvin’s hotel room early that morning after joining him at a bar and began to feel sick in the hotel room.

The woman said she only remembers fighting off Irvin and believes that she was drugged and raped, TMZ Sports said.

According to the gossip site, the woman left in an Uber after she woke up and called 911.

The site reported that the woman texted Irvin, asking him if they had sex. She claimed he told her that he would never do something to hurt her.

Irvin’s attorney told Local 10 News reporter Sanela Sabovic that his client was blindsided by the allegations, had known the woman for years and believes this is all about money.

“Michael was blindsided yesterday by these allegations,” attorney Larry Friedman said. “We actually heard about it first from the press. He was shocked and surprised, and he unequivocally denies the allegations that we know of that were made by this young lady.”

According to the website, Irvin claimed that the woman followed him to his hotel room and was inside for only about 15 minutes.

“First, he was never alone with this young lady,” Friedman said. “She was in a group of people that was around Michael at a club in Fort Lauderdale, and then later, with other people that followed Michael back to his room. But he was never alone with this woman, and he never, ever sexually assaulted her.”

TMZ reported that the woman, who is a cosmetologist, texted Irvin a day after the incident, saying: “Come for a facial when you get back to Fort Lauderdale.”

Friedman said his client plans on fighting the accusations.

“We’re not running from these allegations. We’re charging toward them,” Friedman said.

Friedman said he and his client flew to Fort Lauderdale to speak with detectives. This is the third time Irvin has been accused of sexual assault, although he’s never been charged. 

TMZ Sports reported that Irvin was initially in Fort Lauderdale to attend his 90-year-old aunt’s birthday party and his nieces and nephews’ track meet.

Irvin was a member of Miami’s 1987 national championship team and went on to win three Super Bowls while playing for the Dallas Cowboys. Irvin was a five-time Pro Bowl player who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007.

Follow this story

Former Cane, NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin accused of rape at Fort Lauderdale hotel

Former Miami Hurricane’s wide receiver and NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin is under investigation by Fort Lauderdale police after a woman claimed that Irvin raped her at the W hotel, TMZ Sports reported.

Fort Lauderdale police confirmed Wednesday that they are investigating the current NFL Network analyst for a sexual battery incident reported March 22 at the hotel in the 400 block of North Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard.

They did not release any other details about the incident.

TMZ Sports reported that a 27-year-old woman went to Irvin’s hotel room early that morning after joining him at a bar and began to feel sick in the hotel room.

The woman said she only remembers fighting off Irvin and believes that she was drugged and raped, TMZ Sports said.

According to the gossip site, the woman left in an Uber after she woke up and called 911.

The site reported that the woman texted Irvin, asking him if they had sex. She claimed he told her that he would never do something to hurt her.

According to the website, Irvin claimed that the woman followed him to his hotel room and was inside for only about 15 minutes. He claimed that there was no sexual contact and another man was present the entire time, TMZ Sports said.

TMZ reported that the woman, who is a cosmetologist, texted Irvin a day after the incident, saying: “Come for a facial when you get back to Fort Lauderdale.”

Irvin’s attorney, Larry Friedman, told TMZ Sports that the allegations against his client are false and Irvin was in Fort Lauderdale to attend his 90-year-old aunt’s birthday party and his nieces and nephews’ track meet.

Follow this story

BMW that struck Lyft driver’s car in Miami was reported stolen, police say

A BMW that crashed into a Lyft driver’s vehicle over the weekend in Miami was reported stolen in Hialeah, an arrest report said.

The driver of the BMW, identified as Nicholas James Castelao, 35, was arrested Tuesday on charges of grand theft of a vehicle and possession of a controlled substance.

According to the report, patient care technicians at Jackson Memorial Hospital collected Castelao’s clothing and belongings after he was taken there following the crash and found three small bags of suspected crystal meth in the right front pocket of his shorts.

Police said they also found a credit card, debit card and food stamp credit card in the names of three people.

The crash was reported about 2 p.m. Sunday at Southwest 17th Street and Southwest 25th Avenue.

Miami police said the driver of a Volkswagen Jetta, who sources identified as Lyft driver Robert Torra, had four people in his car when his vehicle was struck head-on by the stolen BMW.

Torra was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Our hearts go out to everyone affected by this tragic accident,” Lyft spokeswoman Alexandra LaManna said. “We have been in contact with Robert’s family during this unimaginably difficult time, and are available to support law enforcement in their investigation.”

Miami Department of Fire-Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said two women and four men, who range in age from 25 to 35, were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center following the accident.

Their injuries range from head injuries to broken bones.

Castelao was arrested after his treatment was finished at the hospital.

Authorities said detectives are still investigating the crash, and it’s unclear whether Castelao was under the influence of a controlled substance at the time of the crash.

Castelao is being held at the Pre-Trial Detention Center.

Follow this story

Young man found dead in southwest Miami-Dade canal bank

A young man was found dead over the weekend in a canal bank in southwest Miami-Dade.Police said the body of Alberto Jimenez-Ramirez, 20, was found just after 3 a.m. Saturday in the area of Southwest 272nd Street and Old Dixie Highway.A cause of death h…

Follow this story