State records show that China Moon in Oakland Park failed its initial food licensing inspection. An inspector found 26 violations, including a roach issue in the kitchen.
The restaurant itself has been opened for some time, but changed owners, initiating the inspection.
A McDonald’s in Sunrise was also ordered shut due to a lack of hot water and construction issues.
A report shows that about 100 rodent droppings were discovered in the kitchen at Latin House Express in North Miami.
The restaurant inside the Balmoral in Bal Harbour was also ordered shut after roach issues were discovered.
Below is a list of places and some of their violations. All the places listed were allowed to re-open following an ordered clean-up and re-inspection.
***Latin House Express
13990 W. Dixie Highway
Ordered shut March 24
32 violations found
“Rodent activity present as evidenced by approximately 50-100 dry and 3-4 moist rodent droppings found throughout the kitchen area.”
“Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. ham (77°F – Cold Holding); eggs (78°F – Cold Holding) less than 2 hrs per operator.”
“Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) hot held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above. rice (127°F – Hot Holding); Beef (128°F – Hot Holding) less than 3hrs per operator.”
“Raw animal food stored over cooked food. Raw chicken / cooked chicken.”
“Soil residue in food storage containers. With sugar.”
“Interior of microwave soiled with encrusted food debris.”
“Food not stored at least 6 inches off of the floor. Container of sugar.”
9801 Collins Ave.
Ordered shut March 21
7 violations found
“Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Approximately 4 live roaches observed underneath prep table which is across from central cook line. Approximately 2 live roaches observed crawling on wooden shelves which are above prep table in the center of the kitchen. Approximately 2 live roaches in oven at central cook line.”
“Raw animal food stored over or with ready-to-eat food in reach-in freezer – not all products commercially packaged. Raw beef patties over precooked chicken tenders in reach in freezer on south wall of kitchen. Employee moved items to appropriate location.”
“Interior of refrigerator soiled with accumulation of food residue.”
10901 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
Ordered shut March 21
21 violations found
“Establishment closes inside dining room to customers but drive-thru remains open. Drive-thru customers are not allowed to use an inside bathroom. The establishment has set up 2 port-a-Potty bathrooms outside. They have set up a hand sink outside to wash hands. There is no hot water available at this sink. Employees are also required to use these bathrooms because there are no interior bathrooms available.”
“Hand wash sink removed from food preparation/dishwashing area. Must be reinstalled in the same location where removed. Observed that the hand wash sink in the front drink preparation area has been removed. The only hand sink available is located in the rear of the establishment. Observed that another hand sink was removed a south side wall in a food prep area. This was verified on the last submitted approved plans dated 1/28/2009.”
“Employee failed to wash hands before changing gloves and/or putting on gloves to work with food. Observed a manager put on one blue glove to handle food without washing hands first.”
“Employee handled soiled equipment or utensils and then engaged in food preparation, handled clean equipment or utensils, or touched unwrapped single-service items without washing hands. Observed a employee in the drink service area handling a wet wiping cloth to wipe down equipment, then continue to prepare drinks and handle take-out cups or containers without washing hands.”
“Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food held using time as a public health control marked with a time that exceeds the 6-hour limit. See stop sale. Observed time marks for lettuce and sliced tomatoes expired on 3/19/17. The time marks were corrected.”
“Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food. Observed raw shell eggs are stored on top of burritos in a reach-in cooler. The eggs were properly relocated.”
“No plan review submitted and approved – renovations were made or are in progress.”
***China Moon Restaurant
884 E. Oakland Park Blvd.
Ordered shut March 20
26 violations found
“Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Observed 3 on the kitchen floor. 1 on the floor under the only hand sink. 1 running across a rice warmer. 3 under a rice warmer. 2 on the floor at the entrance to the kitchen. 2 on the floor behind front counter on the floor.”
“Dead roaches on premises. 6 under the 3 compartment sink. 8 on the floor under the hand sink.”
“Raw animal food stored over or with ready-to-eat food in reach-in freezer – not all products commercially packaged. Observed raw meat and raw seafood stored above cooked foods in a chest freezer . Raw ground meat stored on top of cooked egg rolls in another chest freezer.”
“Establishment advertised crab on menu/menu board but served imitation crab. Establishment advertises crab Rangoon on the menu and uses imitation crab.”
“Chlorine sanitizer not at proper minimum strength for manual ware washing. Do not use equipment/utensils not properly sanitized. Observed none being used.”
“Employee with no hair restraint while engaging in food preparation. The cook. He put on a hat.”
Follow this story