Siberian husky recovering after being bitten by water moccasin in South Florida

A 2-year-old Siberian husky was bitten by a venomous cottonmouth snake Wednesday outside a home in Pembroke Pines.

The husky's owner said her dog, Skylar, was let outside Wednesday morning by her fiance to eat her food when they heard her begin to loudly cry.

Danielle Santoro said her fiance opened the door and saw the snake, also known as a water moccasin, attached to Skylar's snout, as well as blood coming from her right paw.

"I came outside. We saw the blood. I knew -- I was like, 'OK, something's wrong. I called her. Pupils dilated, back legs just giving out," Santoro said.  

Santoro said her fiance struck the snake and threw it over their fence after it let go of the dog.

The couple took their dog to an animal hospital, where she was treated with antivenin, fentanyl, antibiotics and IV fluids.

Santoro said the husky was bitten on her paw and nose.

The couple believes the snake got into their yard because they live near a canal.

Santoro hopes her story will help save another dog or child.

"I just want to spread awareness because this can happen to anyone," she said.  

The family has since created a GoFundMe page in hopes of raising $4,000 to help with the dog's emergency medical expenses.


This BBSNews article was syndicated from News | WPLG, and written by News | WPLG. Read the original article here.

This BBSNews article originally appeared on News | WPLG.