Power remains off at Deauville Beach Resort after small fire

Power remains shut off Wednesday at the Deauville Beach Resort on Collins Avenue, a day after an electrical fire broke out, forcing guests to evacuate.

According to the city, the hotel was using an air conditioner chiller that was installed without electrical permits and was ordered last week to stop using it immediately.

That apparently did not happen, resulting in a cable from the chiller sparking the small fire.

The hotel has not commented on their violation of the city's order, but said they moved 800 guests to other properties since the hotel is shut down.

Meanwhile, Local 10 News learned that the 16th Annual Miami Salsa Congress, which is expected to bring in thousands of Salsa enthusiasts, was set for this week at the Deauville.

Organizers said they have been working feverishly to find another home for the congress, and are hoping to book a hotel by the end of the day. 

This BBSNews article was syndicated from News | WPLG, and written by News | WPLG. Read the original article here.