Girl burned while making homemade slime

A girl suffered burns on her hands while participating in a recently popular trend for kids.

After making homemade slime at a sleepover last weekend, Kathleen Quinn, 11, woke up in the middle of the night after returning home, complaining of a excruciating pain in her hands.

"She was crying in pain, 'My hands hurt, my hands hurt,'" Kathleen's mother, Siobhan Quinn, told WCVB. "When we looked at them, they were covered in blisters."

KABC reports Quinn was taken to the hospital where she was diagnosed with second- and third-degree burns, which were likely the result from prolonged exposure to borax, one of the main ingredients in the slime.

Making homemade slime has become popular over the last year after increased visibility on social media. Borax, Elmer's Glue and Borax are the main ingredients in the slime.

Despite warnings that Borax is meant to be used as a cleaner or laundry additive, many parents allow their children to continue using it in what they believe is a harmless activity.

“I’ve had other mothers say, ‘Oh, we’ve made it a million times, it’s fine, nothing happened to my child,'” Siobhan told WCVB. “We made it a million times, too, and nothing else happened.”

 

 

This BBSNews article was syndicated from News | WPLG, and written by News | WPLG. Read the original article here.