Nunes won’t meet with Justice Department until he gets documents on source

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes said Sunday that he won’t meet with the Justice Department until he is handed documents related to a confidential FBI source who spoke with Trump campaign aides in 2016 about Russian interference in the election.

Nunes also pointed to reports Friday that the FBI’s confidential source spoke with at least two advisers to President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign about its possible ties to Russia as a reason for his position, accusing someone within the department of leaking the information after he and South Carolina Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy didn’t take Justice officials up on their most recent offer to answer the lawmakers’ questions in a briefing.

Earlier this month, Nunes threatened to hold Justice Department officials in contempt of Congress if they don’t release documents related to the source that he has subpoenaed.

To quell rising tensions, officials briefed Nunes and South Carolina Republican Rep. Gowdy a couple of weeks ago in a meeting the lawmakers later called “productive.” The department then offered to brief Nunes and Gowdy on Friday with the understanding that certain questions remained outstanding from a previous briefing, but the invitation went unanswered, CNN has reported.

“Now if you look at what happened on Friday night, probably the mother of all leaks, of all time, to two major newspapers, that came out Friday night. Now, had Mr. Gowdy and I went to that meeting, you can bet they would have tried to pin that on us,” Nunes, R-California, told Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures.”

“We had what I thought was a productive meeting, and then, after that meeting, they’ve done nothing but leak and leak and leak,” he continued. “Now, we don’t know exactly who it is over at the Department of Justice or the FBI. I’m not pinning any blame on people. But we’re not going to go to another meeting where we don’t get documents and then the meeting leaks out.”

Nunes told Fox News that he and Gowdy refused to do the briefing after being told they would not get the documents they are seeking.

“They were trying to get Mr. Gowdy and I to go the Department of Justice for, supposedly, another briefing. We said, look, unless we’re going to get documents, we found out Thursday night, they were not going to provide documents, so therefore, we’re not going to go,” Nunes said on Sunday.

The Justice Department and the California Republican have been down this road before. CNN reported earlier this month that Nunes threatened to hold Justice Department officials in contempt of Congress on several occasions for failing to turn over sensitive documents related to the Russia investigation only to not read the materials once they were made available to him.

Mueller interview

Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, told The Wall Street Journal on Saturday that federal prosecutors would need to make clear the role played by the confidential source and whether the person had compiled any “incriminating information” about Trump’s associates before the President would agree to any interview with special counsel Robert Mueller. Otherwise, Giuliani said, Trump could be “walking into a trap.”

Although Trump has suggested the FBI’s confidential intelligence source was embedded in his campaign, US officials have told CNN that was not the case.

The officials say that the identity of the source had been closely held at the highest levels of the FBI and intelligence community, and the individual has been a source for the FBI and CIA for years.

Officials from the Justice Department, FBI and Office of the Director of National Intelligence have maintained that turning over that information Nunes has requested on the individual would pose a grave risk to the source’s life.

WSJ: Giuliani warns Trump about talking to Mueller

President Donald Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, says the President should not agree to an interview with special counsel Robert Mueller before obtaining more information about a confidential FBI source who spoke with Trump’s campaign aides in 2016 about Russian interference in the election.

“What we intend to do is premise it on, ‘If you want an interview, we need an answer to this,'” Giuliani told the Journal in an interview published Sunday.

Giuliani also said Trump could be “walking into a trap” by agreeing to the interview without an understanding of the confidential source’s role and whether the person compiled “incriminating information” about Trump’s associates.

The comments come after several reports revealed that the FBI dispatched the source to speak with at least two advisers to Trump’s presidential campaign about its possible ties to Russia.

On Saturday, Trump for the first time called on his Justice Department to allow members of Congress to review documents related to the FBI source.

“If the FBI or DOJ was infiltrating a campaign for the benefit of another campaign, that is a really big deal,” Trump tweeted. “Only the release or review of documents that the House Intelligence Committee (also, Senate Judiciary) is asking for can give the conclusive answers. Drain the Swamp!”

US officials have told CNN that the confidential intelligence source was not planted inside the campaign to provide information to investigators despite the President’s suggestion in recent days that an FBI informant was embedded in his campaign.

The officials say that the identity of the source had been closely held at the highest levels of the FBI and intelligence community, and the individual has been a source for the FBI and CIA for years.

Earlier this month, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes threatened to hold Justice Department officials in contempt of Congress if they don’t release documents related to the source that he has subpoenaed.

Officials from the Justice Department, FBI and Office of the Director of National Intelligence have maintained that turning over that information Nunes has requested on the individual would pose a grave risk to the source’s life.

To quell rising tensions, officials briefed Nunes and South Carolina Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy earlier this month in a meeting the lawmakers later called “productive.”

Last week, the Justice Department offered to brief Nunes and Gowdy once again with the understanding that certain questions remained outstanding from the previous briefing. Top officials at the department, the FBI and Office of the Director of National Intelligence were prepared to meet with the two lawmakers Friday and answer questions, but their invitation went unanswered, CNN has reported.

Heavy rains cause flooding, flight delays across South Florida

Heavy rains are causing flooding, flight delays and even a small number of power outages Sunday in Broward and Miami-Dade counties.

A flood advisory is in affect for northern Broward County and northeast Miami-Dade County until 10:30 a.m. Areas affected include Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, Miramar and Coral Springs.

The region experienced several days of rain, saturating the ground, and Sunday brought even more precipitation. Up to 5  inches of rain has already fallen in some areas.

In Hollywood, a storm drain became clogged along Taft Street. Drivers were pushing through almost a foot of water in the deepest spots. On Twitter, Coral Springs police advised people to stay indoors.

“Do not go out onto the roads unless absolutely necessary. Conditions are very dangerous,” the department said.

Greg Meyer, a spokesman for Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, urged travelers to check their flight statuses before heading out. Meyer said several flights have been affected by the heavy rain and at least one parking lot used by taxi drivers is flooded.

Florida Power and Light reported Sunday morning that about 1,400 customers in Broward County were without power while about 1,000 customers in Miami-Dade County were affected.

Many outdoor events have been rained out including Unifest in Lauderdale Lakes.

“This has never happened in its 24 year history. It’s very disappointing, but safety first,” the organizers of the Caribbean festival said.

Survivor’s mother: Texas shooter yelled ‘Woo-Hoo’ as he fired

One of the 10 people killed in the Texas school shooting was a girl who had rejected the suspect’s advances for months, and stood up to him a week ago in class, the victim’s mother said.

Sadie Baze said her daughter, Shana Fisher, 16, was gunned down during art class at Santa Fe High School on Friday.

Police arrested the suspect, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, who was also a student at the school in the southeastern Texas city of Santa Fe.

Baze said the suspect had pestered her daughter to go out with him for months. A week ago, her daughter stood up in class and told Pagourtzis that she wouldn’t go out with him.

Before asking Shana out, the suspect had previously dated her best friend, Baze said, adding that’s why she told her daughter to turn him down.

“One of the shotgun shells was for my daughter,” Baze said. “She’s never going to walk through the front door again.”

Shana had turned 16 days earlier.

‘I was frozen’

Pagourtzis used a shotgun and a revolver to shoot students and teachers, killing 10 people, police said. An additional 13 others were injured.

Deedra Van Ness’ daughter, Isabelle Laymance, survived the shooting by hiding in a classroom closet. In a Facebook post Saturday titled “longest day of my life,” she said her daughter told her the gunman was “yelling Woo-Hoo!” as he fired in the classroom next door.

When her daughter first called to let her know about the shooting, she was whispering to avoid alerting the gunman.

“I was frozen, standing there with no idea what to do next,” Van Ness posted.

The mother said she texted their friends and relatives to ask them not to call Isabelle to avoid giving away her hiding place.

The victims

One of the students killed was Jared Black, who turned 17 last week and was supposed to have a birthday party Saturday.

Other victims included Sabika Sheikh, a Pakistani exchange student; Chris Stone, 17; Angelique Ramirez; Christian Riley Garcia; Aaron Kyle McLeod; Kimberly Vaughan; Glenda Ann Perkins and Cynthia Tisdale, who were teachers.

The people hospitalized included retired Houston police Officer John Barnes, who served as a resource officer at the school and confronted the gunman.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo tweeted Friday that he had visited Barnes in the hospital, and he was “hanging in there.”

Suspect is ‘confused’

The alleged shooter used a shotgun and a .38 revolver legally owned by his father, Gov. Greg Abbott said.

The suspect’s family issued a statement Saturday, saying they are shocked and confused, and expressing condolences to the victims.

Pagourtzis is a “smart, quiet, sweet boy,” they said.

“While we remain mostly in the dark about the specifics of yesterday’s tragedy, what we have learned from media reports seems incompatible with the boy we love,” they said.

The family said they are cooperating with investigators and will make no other public comments until the fact-finding stage is completed.

Pagourtzis is being held without bail and is accused of capital murder of multiple people and aggravated assault on a public servant. He has not entered a plea.

His attorney, Robert Barfield, said his client is “not doing well” and is “confused.”

The suspect won’t face the death penalty if he is convicted. Under Texas law, offenders who are under age 18 and charged with a capital offense face a maximum punishment of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 40 years, according to Robert Dunham of the Death Penalty Information Center.

The suspect told an investigator he acted alone and spared people he liked because he wanted his story told, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Gunman acted alone

Gunfire started not long after classes began around 7:30 a.m. (8:30 a.m. ET), officials said.

Two school resource officers were on the campus and confronted the shooter, Abbott said.

Authorities later found explosive devices — including pipe bombs and pressure cookers — in and near the school, a law enforcement official said.

Galveston County Judge Mark Henry told reporters that the suspect had devices but none were functional. One was a pressure cooker with an alarm clock and nails, but no explosive material. Authorities also found an unlit Molotov cocktail, he said.

Investigators believe Pagourtzis acted alone, a law enforcement official told CNN on Saturday.

‘We will grieve together’

This is the 22nd U.S. school shooting so far this year, and the third instance in eight days in which a gunman was on a school campus.

President Donald Trump addressed the school shooting, saying that mass shootings have been “going on too long.” He said federal authorities are coordinating with local officials.

The Santa Fe school district will close its schools Monday and Tuesday, officials said — but students and staff are slowly being allowed to collect their belongings from part of the high school.

The community of Santa Fe is in mourning, its congressman said, and residents “will pull together” like they did after Hurricane Harvey months ago.

“We will grieve together, we will love one another, we will work together. We did it after Harvey — still doing it after Harvey,” U.S. Rep. Randy Weber told reporters Saturday, referring to the storm that ravaged the Houston area in August. “We’ll do it after this.”

“We will get through this,” he said.

Prince Harry: Fast Facts

Here is a look at the life of Britain’s Prince Harry.

Personal: Birth date: Sept. 15, 1984

Birthplace: London, England at St. Mary’s Hospital, Paddington

Birth name: Henry Charles Albert David

Father: Charles, the Prince of Wales

Mother: Diana, the Princess of Wales

Education: Eton College, 1998-2003; Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, 2005

Military: British Army, 2011-present, Captain

Other Facts: Military name is Captain Harry Wales.

Full title is His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales.

Founder of the Invictus Games, an international sporting competition for injured servicemen and women. The first games were held in London in 2014.

Timeline: Dec. 21, 1984 – Is christened Prince Henry Charles Albert David at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Sept. 6, 1997 – Attends his mother’s funeral.

November 1997 – Accompanies his father to South Africa, where he meets President Nelson Mandela, goes on a safari, and meets the pop group the Spice Girls.

January 2002 – A confession of heavy drinking and marijuana use when he was 16, prompts his father to send him to the drug rehab center, Phoenix House UK, for a day.

Sept. 15, 2002 – For his 18th birthday, Harry receives his official coat of arms as a birthday present from his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II.

May 18, 2003 – Is promoted to cadet officer, the highest rank in the Combined Cadet Corps.

January 2005 – Pictures surface of him wearing a Nazi uniform to a costume party. He apologizes days later.

May 2005 – Begins military training at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy.

Sept. 15, 2005 – Replaces his uncle Edward, the Earl of Wessex, as a Counselor of State. As a counselor, Prince Philip and four adult members of the royal family in the line of succession, are to carry out the duties of the Queen in her absence.

Dec. 12, 2006 – Prince William and Harry announce their plans for a concert and memorial service to mark the tenth anniversary of their mother’s death. The Concert for Diana is held on July 1, 2007, and features Elton John and Duran Duran. The memorial service takes place on Aug. 31.

April 12, 2006 – Graduates from Sandhurst as a 2nd lieutenant.

April 2006 – Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho co-found a charity to help Lesotho’s AIDS orphans. The organization is named Sentebale, which means “forget me not” in the language of Lesotho.

February 2007 – The British Ministry of Defense announces that Harry will be deployed to Iraq with his army unit.

May 16, 2007 – Sir Richard Dannatt, the chief of the general staff, announces that Harry will not deploy to Iraq because of a number of threats against him.

Feb. 28, 2008 – The British Ministry of Defense announces that Harry has secretly been serving in Afghanistan with his Army unit on a four-month mission since December 2007. The next day, he is withdrawn from Afghanistan for security reasons.

May 5, 2008 – Princess Anne presents Harry and his unit, the Household Cavalry Regiment, with the Operational Service Medal for their time in Afghanistan.

May 2009 – During his first official visit to the United States, Harry visits Ground Zero and leaves a wreath of flowers with a signed note.

May 7, 2010 – Completes the Army Pilots Course and receives his provisional “wings.”

July 2010 – Begins Apache helicopter training with the Army Air Corps.

March 29-April 5, 2011 – Accompanies the Walking with the Wounded Expedition to the North Pole.

April 14, 2011 – Is promoted to captain and qualifies as an Apache helicopter pilot.

October 2011 – Trains in the California and Arizona deserts with Apache helicopters during Exercise Crimson Eagle.

Aug. 21 2012 – TMZ posts photos of the prince partying nude in a Las Vegas hotel. A few days later, British tabloid The Sun publishes the photos.

Sept. 7, 2012 – Harry arrives in Afghanistan to begin serving a 20 week deployment as an Apache helicopter pilot. He returns home in January 2013.

May 9-16, 2013 – A week-long official visit to the United States begins in Washington, D.C., and ends in Greenwich, Conn. During his stay the prince meets with First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House, plays volleyball in Colorado Springs with wounded veterans and tours areas stricken by Hurricane Sandy with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Dec. 13, 2013 – Harry and a trekking team made up of servicemen and women reach the South Pole as part of a charity event.

January 2014 – Begins a new Army position as a Staff Officer (SO3). He also remains with the Household Cavalry Regiment based in London as a commissioned officer.

September 2014 – Tuns 30. The terms of Princess Diana’s will state that her 1981 wedding gown is to be given to Prince William and Prince Harry on this date.

June 19, 2015 – Kensington Palace announces that Harry has ended his career with the Army.

August 22, 2015 – Harry joins the inaugural “Walk of Britain” to raise awareness for wounded warriors. The Walk begins in Aberdeen, Scotland and ends at Buckingham Palace, a trek of 1,000 miles.

April 16, 2017 – In an interview with the Telegraph newspaper, Harry reveals that he sought mental health counseling in 2013 to help him cope with ongoing emotional issues rooted in the sudden death of his mother.

Nov.27, 2017 – Engagement to American actress Meghan Markle is announced.

May 19, 2018 – The Queen confers Dukedom on Prince Harry of Wales. His titles will be Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel.

May 19, 2018 – Marries Meghan Markle at St. George’s Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle.