College student killed at track and field event

An Illinois college student is dead after being hit during a hammer throw event, officials said.

Wheaton College identified the victim as Ethan Roser, 19, a freshman transfer student from Cincinnati, Ohio. Roser died after being accidentally struck with a hammer Saturday, according to a Wheaton statement. He had been volunteering at a track and field competition on the campus in suburban Chicago.

Roser was treated by paramedics at the scene and transported to a local hospital, where he died, the statement said.

In the track and field hammer event, athletes throw a metal ball that’s attached to a steel wire, according to International Association of Athletics Federation. The thrower usually makes several spins before releasing the ball — which can weigh between 16 and 8 pounds.

It’s not known whether Roser was volunteering at the hammer throw or at a nearby event.

“We ask people to pray for Ethan’s family, his friends, and our campus community,” Wheaton College President Philip Ryken said.

Students gathered Saturday night for a memorial and vigil for Roser.

1 dead, 4 injured after shooting at Golden Glades Park & Ride

Four women were injured and one was declared dead after a shooting at the Golden Glades Park and Ride along Northwest 7th Avenue, near 160th Street, police said early Sunday morning.

%INLINE%

According to the preliminary investigation, “the victims were being dropped off at the park and ride, when unknown subject(s) in an unknown vehicle(s) opened fire at the group of people and then fled the area,” Detective Alvaro Zabaleta wrote in a news release.

Police said the surviving victims were transported to area hospitals. 

The father of the deceased woman identified her as Jasmine Dixon, 21.

He told Local 10’s Erica Rakow that his daughter left with a friend Saturday night to go to a birthday party, took an uber to the park and ride lot, and a few hours later, he received a call that she was dead.

Police have not confirmed the identity of the victim. 

This is a developing story. Refresh this page and watch Local 10 News for updates on this story. 

Bicyclist fatally struck by Miami-Dade Transit bus, officials say

A bicyclist is dead after being struck by a Miami-Dade Transit bus Saturday, authorities said.

Keshia Hayes said she was riding towards the back of the Miami-Dade Transit bus when it ran over a man on a bicycle and killed him. The bus driver was seen being comforted by detectives.

“Everyone on the bus was yelling at the bus driver, telling her someone was under the bus while she kept going,” Hayes said.

Investigators told Local 10 News that the bus driver had just pulled up to a bus stop on Northwest 79th Street and Fifth Avenue around 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The bicyclist crashed into the center of the bus.

“I heard it, and then everybody started yelling,” Hayes said.

But it seems neither the impact nor the screams from the passengers were enough to get the driver’s attention.

“When the bus began to move westbound, that’s when she ran over the bicyclist,” said Alvaro Zabaleta, of the Miami-Dade Police Department.

“We dispatched additional units in the event that we had to use extrication tools to remove him, but unfortunately paramedics discovered that he did not survive his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene,” said Capt. Ignatius Carroll, of Miami Fire Rescue.

“When I got off the bus, I couldn’t look,” Hayes said. “I did not want to look.”

Faith Davis lives in the neighborhood and said the man who died was known in the area.

“I was going here to buy some groceries and I saw everything that was happening and was like, ‘Wow,” Davis said. “He used to sell water up here. I mean, I didn’t get the water from him, but, you know, he was a nice guy. Always sold water to everybody.”

Miami police shut down traffic on 79th Street between Biscayne Boulevard and Fourth Court as Miami-Dade traffic homicide detectives piece together exactly what happened.

“Because it’s a county vehicle, we become the lead on this,” Zabaleta said.

The Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women Receives $250K from Grants

Published April 23, 2017 ALBUQUERQUE – The Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women (CSVANW) has received $250,000 in competitive grants from Verizon Wireless HopeLine, a Pueblo of Pojoaque foundation and two national organizations to help break the cycle of violence among Native Americans in New Mexico. The funding will provide general operating support and […]

The post The Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women Receives $250K from Grants appeared first on Native News Online.

3.8 Magnitude Earthquake Reported in Northern Part of Reservation

Published April 23, 2017 WINDOW ROCK – An earthquake measuring 3.8-magnitude was reported by the U.S. Geological Survey at 10:01 p.m. Friday Southwest of Bluff, Utah. The tremor was felt by residents in Banding, Utah, who posted about it on Facebook. According to the USGS, the tremor is considered a minor earthquake. According to the USGS […]

The post 3.8 Magnitude Earthquake Reported in Northern Part of Reservation appeared first on Native News Online.

Kiffin’s first spring at FAU comes to close

Lane Kiffin had his trademark windbreaker on for Florida Atlantic’s spring game, replete with the omnipresent visor underneath the headset.

The look for FAU’s coach hasn’t changed.

Just about everything else has, of course.

He’s 750 miles from Alabama now, head coach at a school coming off three consecutive 3-9 seasons instead of being with a Crimson Tide program that will almost certainly find its way into the national-title conversation again this year. And while Alabama was having its spring game before 74,326 people Saturday afternoon, Kiffin’s Owls played simultaneously before barely anyone.

None of that mattered to Kiffin. His first spring with the Owls is over, and he called it a success — plus had plenty of light-hearted perspective on the crowd, or lack thereof.

“There’s the good with the bad,” Kiffin said. “Yeah, the stadium’s not going to be filled 30 minutes before kickoff no matter what, whether you’re the Dolphins or whether you’re the L.A. Lakers. The good part of that is you’re in a city where there’s a lot to do, so there’s a lot of things going on … a great place to live. Now we’ve got to start winning some games, so that we get more people to come to the games.”

The final score, for the record, was defense 62, offense 33. That seemed irrelevant.

This spring was about Kiffin getting a real feel for what’s realistic for FAU in 2017, and installing a system that he expects will give the Owls a chance to get better right away.

“I feel really good about it,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin is a national brand at a place that struggles to even get local attention. That would in part explain the dichotomy between having empty stands — there were no more than 2,000 people inside the stadium — and school officials being thrilled that it was the largest spring game crowd anyone at FAU could remember.

Progress comes slowly sometimes.

“Like anything, we’re just looking to get better every day as an organization, as a football program, as an athletic department,” FAU athletic director Pat Chun said. “So anything that shows improvement, we’ll take. It’s another healthy sign. I’d rather have this than the opposite, where only a couple hundred people were here. There’s definitely more eyeballs on FAU football than there’s ever been.”

People in Boca Raton might not be watching yet.

But people around the SEC, and probably plenty of other places in the country, clamor for all things Kiffin.

FAU’s opener was moved up a day to Sept. 1 at ESPN’s request, so Kiffin’s debut with the Owls will be shown nationally in prime time on a Friday night. Showtime expressed interest in chronicling FAU this coming season, as it did with Florida State last fall.

“Bringing in a guy like Coach Kiffin, who has the name in the sport, creates excitement around here that we really haven’t had,” quarterback Jason Driskel said. “I think it’s exciting for everybody.”

Not everything has gone smoothly to start Kiffin’s tenure.

Eyebrows raised when he hired Kendal Briles — the former offensive coordinator at Baylor, a program rocked by sexual assault allegations — to run his offense at FAU. He was trolled by everyone from random tweeters to a Tennessee state agency after making a notoriously awful promotional video for FAU, which Kiffin insists was intentional to get people talking. And anytime he and Alabama coach Nick Saban speak about one another, schism talk begins again.

He has seemed undeterred by it all.

“Correct. He is undeterred by it. That is a great way to categorize it,” Chun said. “He doesn’t pay attention, really doesn’t pay attention to what social media says about him or things that are going on. He has a belief system that he’s firm with. There is a Kiffin Effect, there’s no ifs, ands or buts about it. It’s been nice to see.”

Kiffin spent the game on the field, standing behind the quarterbacks and switching his headset between what the defensive and offensive coaches were saying.

He was asked what it was like to not call plays anymore.

“Boring,” Kiffin said. “I would have left too, to go to the beach.”

Doctors charged in first genital mutilation case in US

In the first federal case involving female genital mutilation filed in the United States, two Michigan doctors and the wife of one of the doctors have been charged with performing the banned procedure on two 7-year-old girls.

Dr. Fakhruddin Attar, 53, and his wife, Farida Attar, 50, were arrested Friday at their medical office in Livonia, Michigan, west of Detroit.

They were charged with three federal criminal counts including conspiracy, female genital mutilation and aiding and abetting.

Detroit emergency room physician Jumana Nagarwala, 44, was arrested April 12 and is currently in jail awaiting trial after a federal judge deemed her a flight risk and a threat to the community.

The three defendants belong to a “religious and cultural community” that investigators allege practices female genital mutilation on young girls — a painful surgical procedure to remove part of the clitoris or clitoral hood to suppress female sexuality.

During a court hearing April 17, Nagarwala’s defense attorney, Shannon Smith, told a judge the procedure did not involve cutting and was religious in nature, CNN affiliate WXYZ reported.

Smith argued the procedure is practiced by the Dawoodi Bohra, an Islamic sect based in India, and that the clinic was used to keep procedures sterile, WXYZ reported.

The Detroit Free Press reported from the hearing that Smith said her client removed membrane from the girls’ genital area using a “scraper” as part of a religious practice. The girls’ parents would then bury the membrane in the ground in accordance with their religious custom, Smith said, according to the Free Press account.

Clinic under surveillance

A 2012 US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report found that roughly 513,000 women and girls in the United States were at risk of undergoing female genital mutilation, which was more than twice an earlier estimate based on 1990 data. The World Health Organization considers the procedure a violation of human rights of girls and women.

According to the complaint, the case against Nagarwala and the Attars dates to at least February, after the FBI had received information that the procedure was being performed at the clinic. Court documents do not indicate the source of the information.

Investigators were watching the clinic and saw the two girls and their mothers arrive at the Burhani Medical Clinic, which Attar owns.

Attar, his wife and Nagarwala were already inside.

The girls, both from Minnesota, later told investigators their mothers said they were going to Detroit for “a special girls’ trip,” according to court documents.

According to those court documents:

One girl said they had gone to the doctor’s office because their “tummies hurt” and the doctor had to “get the germs out.” The second girl said that after the procedure, “she could barely walk, and that she felt pain all the way down to her ankle.”

Both girls said their parents told them not to talk about the procedure. When investigators questioned the parents, one couple described the procedure as a “cleansing” of extra skin.

Investigators believe there are more young victims in Michigan.

Nagarwala is accused of performing the mutilation while the Attars allegedly assisted.

Attorney: Attar ‘will be vindicated’

“Dr. Attar is not aware of any crimes that occurred at his clinic,” Attar’s defense attorney, Mary Chartier, told CNN. “He has confidence that he will be vindicated through the justice system because he has done nothing to violate the law.”

Attar told investigators that Nagarwala used his clinic to treat girls between ages 6 and 9 for genital problems and that Nagarwala didn’t charge for her services. Attar said his wife was present during the examinations to “comfort” the girls and “hold their hands,” according to court documents.

Attar said Nagarwala saw patients in his clinic five to six times a year.

“Dr. Attar voluntarily spoke with the FBI without an attorney,” said Chartier. “He has no criminal history. He knew his colleague had been arrested, yet he continued to live in his home and work at his clinic serving his patients. He certainly did not try to flee. He is a respected and trusted community member.”

Farida Attar’s attorney, Matt Newburg, told CNN he did not wish to “comment on the charges.”

Mosque says it’s assisting investigators

The Detroit News reported that members of the Dawoodi Bohra sect in the area where the defendants live and work belong to the Anjuman-e-Najmi mosque, the only Dawoodi Bohra mosque in Michigan.

Leaders of the mosque released a statement Friday saying they are offering assistance to investigators, according to the News.

“Any violation of US law is counter to instructions to our community members,” the statement said.

“It is an important rule of the Dawoodi Bohras that we respect the laws of the land, wherever we live,” the statement continued. “This is precisely what we have done for several generations in America. We remind our members regularly of their obligations.”

CNN’s calls to Nagarwala’s attorney and the mosque were not returned.

Nagarwala, who has four children of her own, has no prior criminal history, according to court documents.

She has been charged with female genital mutilation, transportation with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity and conspiracy, and making a false statement to a federal officer.

Nagarwala’s employer, the Henry Ford Health System, told CNN in a statement, “the alleged criminal activity did not occur at any Henry Ford facility. We would never support or condone anything related to this practice. The doctor was immediately placed on administrative leave and her clinical privileges have been suspended.”

A detention hearing for the Attars is scheduled for April 26 at 1 p.m. ET. It’s not clear whether any of the defendants have entered a plea.

No charges have been filed against the parents of the girls.

The FBI has a tip line for victims of female genital mutilation, or anyone who might suspect such activity. They can call 800-CALL-FBI (225-5984) or submit a tip via FBI.GOV/FGM.

Detectives seek help finding Tamarac man, 85, with dementia

Detectives with the Broward Sheriff’s Office are asking for the public’s help in finding an 85-year-old Tamarac man with dementia who left his home Friday.

Edgar Boyer may have become disoriented, the Sheriff’s Office said. Boyer is believed to have been driving his beige 2003 Honda Accord with Florida tag Y87IBG.

Boyer is described by the Sheriff’s Office as white, 5 feet 10 inches tall and 160 pounds with a medium frame, gray hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Regional Communications at 954-764-HELP (4357). Tipsters who wish to remain anonymous can call Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477).