‘Eclipseville USA’ to feature incredible view of totality and … aliens?

On Aug. 21, 1955, a family reported a strange, seemingly extraterrestrial event at a home near Hopkinsville, Kentucky, involving “little men” and what appeared to be a spaceship.

On Aug. 21, 2017 — the anniversary of the bizarre sighting that shook the family to its core, prompting relatives to sell the property about two weeks after the fact — people are wondering: Could the so-called “aliens” return to the area when the sky goes black? Will the 2 minutes and 40 seconds of daytime darkness yield another extraterrestrial encounter?

Hopkinsville, which is a small town with a population of about 32,000, sits about 20 miles north of the Tennessee border. Earlier this week, its mayor dubbed the city “Eclipseville, USA,” and said the name would remain in effect from Friday through Monday. The town expects anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 visitors this weekend, as it’s not only in the path of totality, but also the only city to be declared “the point of greatest eclipse” by NASA.

So, what really happened on the night of Aug. 21, 62 years ago, in a tale that became such a local legend?

A TV station in Nashville, WSMV-TV, sat down with the adult children of the late Lucky Sutton, the subject of the so-called alien encounter, to learn about what they had been told.

As the story goes, Sutton was visiting the farmhouse where he grew up, in the nearby unincorporated community of Kelly, when a friend named Billy Ray went outside and came back into the home spooked.

The people inside thought it was a practical joke, but something really seemed to be bothering Billy Ray. So Sutton went outside to take a look around.

That’s when he saw them: either little green men, or little gray men, depending on who you ask. Some published reports say when Sutton reported the incident to Hopkinsville police a short time later, he was misquoted at the time in the press.

Sutton and Billy Ray also spotted something that appeared to be a spaceship. But it was the “little men” that really disturbed the pair.

“(The little men) were three foot tall with pointed ears and oval eyes,” said Elmer Sutton, the son of Lucky Sutton, to WSMV-TV. “There was something going on, and it wasn’t of this Earth.”

When the incident took place, in 1955, Elmer Sutton and his sister weren’t born yet. They learned of the story later in life, but said their father didn’t like to discuss it. It made him uncomfortable, and he didn’t like how the family’s claims were dismissed at the time as a hoax. Lucky Sutton was called a liar as well, which bothered him deeply.

“Dad did not like the attention this brought,” said Lucky’s daughter, Geraldine Sutton Stith, to the TV station. “He said, ‘No good can come from this story. We need to let it go.'”

She added, “People started coming in, trying to talk to him about it (and) wanting to ridicule the family. He didn’t want to talk about it.”

Stith and Elmer Sutton said that on that fated night, their father shot at the little men, who seemed to be undeterred and uninjured by the gunfire.

“They didn’t know what it was,” Stith said. “Who would’ve? They thought maybe this was some kind of goblin from heck. They were frightened. They ran in the house (and) told everyone something was out there. The country boy instinct in him was to grab the gun and shoot — ask questions later.”

Everyone from inside the home piled into at least one vehicle, possibly two, and sped to the Hopkinsville police station to report what had happened. It was just before midnight.

Many officers and investigators from several agencies rushed to the house, along with members of the media, who had caught wind of the situation. They found shotgun shell casings from the shooting, but no “little men.”

Elmer Sutton and Stith confirmed the family property was sold two weeks later, and said their father rarely spoke about the story the rest of his life.

Now, a culture has developed around the towns of Kelly and Hopkinsville. Kelly proudly displays a large UFO replica. And an annual Kelly Little Green Men Days Festival is held, and some people are even known to attend in alien costumes.

This year’s festival, which kicks off Friday and runs through Monday, coincides with the eclipse. Usually, about 3,000 flock to the event. For this coming festival, organizers are expecting three or four times that number.

Roads are expected to be congested, schools will be closed and some restaurants anticipate running out of food.

Although it’s not clear what exactly Lucky Sutton saw that night nearly 62 years ago (some experts think it was owls), one thing is certain: the Hopkinsville area is preparing as one of the hot-spots from which to watch.

All the buzz has descended upon the town. Director Steven Spielberg has even said the Kelly-Hopkinsville encounter was part of the inspiration behind such films as E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, according to Country Living magazine.

As for Lucky Sutton’s adult children, are they nervous?

“My dad ran them off the first time,” Elmer Sutton told the TV station. “I believe I can run ‘em off the second time.”

Follow this story

Florida DUI driver hits 17 cars while trying to park, FHP says

A 25-year-old Orlando man was arrested on DUI charges after he struck 17 parked vehicles at an apartment complex in Osceola County, the Florida Highway Patrol said.Tony Futch was arrested and booked into the Osceola County Jail.The FHP said troopers we…

Follow this story

Ex-Homeland security adviser: Trump’s Pershing tweet ‘absurd’

A former Homeland security adviser to President Barack Obama said Friday that President Donald Trump’s recent invocation of a myth about a US general killing Muslim prisoners is dangerous because it’s “fact-free.”

“It’s absurd not only because it’s fact-free, it’s absolutely without any basis,” Lisa Monaco said. “It’s been debunked by historians for years. And it’s a danger because it’s putting forward, basically claiming we should use an atrocity, in essence a war crime, in response to terrorism.”

In the wake of Thursday’s terror attack in Barcelona, Trump tweeted: “Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught. There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!” The debunked story is about Pershing’s forces capturing and killing Muslim prisoners with bullets dipped in pigs’ blood to deter future terror attacks.

Speaking on CNN’s “New Day” Friday morning, Monaco, now a CNN national security analyst, warned that Trump’s rhetoric about the tale of Pershing is exactly the kind that plays into the hands of terrorists.

“Well anytime you play into, with rhetoric of the kind we saw yesterday, you play into the ISIS message that we are in a war with Islam. That’s what they use to recruit individuals to their fight to come and become radicalized,” she said. “So anytime you use rhetoric like the kind we saw yesterday, you’re playing into that message and helping that recruiting and indeed feeding their message that US citizens should be a target.”

The President previously referred to Pershing at a February 2016 campaign rally. In the story, Trump said Pershing, “took 50 bullets, and he dipped them in pigs’ blood. And he had his men load his rifles, and he lined up the 50 people, and they shot 49 of those people. And the 50th person, he said, ‘You go back to your people, and you tell them what happened.’ And for 25 years, there wasn’t a problem.”

However, experts have largely debunked the story. Snopes, a website that fact-checks internet rumors, declared it to be false. Politifact, another fact-checking website, gave it a “Pants on Fire” rating.

Monaco suggested that instead of doling out false history lessons, Trump should be extending a hand to Spain.

“What the US should be doing in the aftermath of a horror like this that’s visited upon our ally, and of course Spain is a NATO ally, is showing steady strength and resolve and solidarity with our Spanish partners,” she said.

Follow this story

Mercedes unveils stunning, super-long luxury convertible

The Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet concept car looks very appropriate parked next to the open sea. Designers clearly looked to watercraft rather than cars for inspiration.

The long two-seater will be on display in at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California on Sunday, with the crashing surf of the California coastline will be its backdrop.

With its long nose, tapering tail, sparkling blue paint and bright white and wood interior the Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet looks very much like a road-going sport yacht. The car is intended to show the “ultimate in luxury of the future,” according to Mercedes’ announcement.

The car is electrically powered, according to Mercedes, with a total output of 750 horsepower from four electric motors.

Although it has only two seats, the Cabriolet is 20 feet long. The batteries are in the floor so, under the hood, there’s storage space for luggage and tools. The big convertible rides on huge 24-inch wheels.

Mercedes-Maybach is Mercedes’ ultra-luxury brand, which produces vehicles that are more luxurious and exclusive than the Mercedes-Benz models upon which they’re based. There are Mercedes-Maybach versions of the S-class sedan, the S-class Cabriolet and the G-class SUV.

The Pebble Concours d’Elegance, which takes place on California’s central coast, is generally regarded as the world’s most prestigious classic car show. Wealthy collectors are invited to show their best cars at the annual event, which attracts auto enthusiasts for a week of auctions, races and other events.

At last year’s Pebble Beach event, Mercedes showed the Mercedes-Maybach 6 Coupé, a hard-top car that was nearly as long and powerful as the Cabriolet.

Follow this story

Remorseful thief returns iPad to Deerfield Beach McDonald’s, deputies say

A remorseful thief returned a stolen iPad this week to its rightful owner, one week after multiple news outlets reported on the theft, authorities said.

Surveillance video shows a woman taking the iPad June 12 from the counter of a McDonald’s in Deerfield Beach after its owner accidentally left it there.  

Broward Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Keyla Concepcion said the thief coordinated to have the iPad returned to its rightful owner on Tuesday.

Concepcion said a man, who was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses and was keeping his head down, walked into the fast food restaurant and placed a small blue gift bag on the counter.

The manager retrieved the bag and discovered that the stolen iPad was inside with a handwritten note that said, “To whom it may concern, this was an honest mistake. I am returning iPad to manager of McDonald’s. iPad that belongs to Daniel Rodriguez.”

Concepcion said the manager notified authorities and a deputy retrieved the bag.

The iPad was then turned over to Rodriguez.

Detectives said they still want to identify the woman seen on surveillance video taking the iPad.

Anyone with information about her identity is asked to call Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS. 

 

Follow this story