South Florida educators, lawmakers vow to fight end of TPS for Haitians

South Florida educators and lawmakers are vowing to fight a recent decision to end temporary protected status for Haitians.

“As an immigrant myself, I cannot remain silent on this issue,” Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said during a news conference Tuesday morning.

Carvalho was joined by U.S. Rep. Carlos Curbelo, R-Fla., U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Fla., and other fellow educators and lawmakers to condemn the Department of Homeland Security’s decision to end TPS for Haitians in July 2019.

“Today is a difficult day, not just for those who benefit from the TPS program, but for so many South Florida families who depend on them,” Curbelo said. 

The temporary status allows Haitians who fled the country after the 2010 earthquake to live and stay in the U.S. without fear of deportation.

“What will we gain by deporting Haitians?” Wilson said. “It’s not even that many — 50,000 people. What do we gain?”

South Florida’s congressional delegation wants to make the temporary protected status permanent.

“That’s why we filed the Esperer legislation, which means hope in French,” Curbelo said. “How appropriate.”

Miami-Dade County school board member Dorothy Bendross-Mindingall said something must be done.

“We will not sit idly by and do nothing,” she said. “If they come for the Haitians, they will come for all of us.”

Follow this story

Police search for group of people who bailed out of car on I-95 in Miami

Police are searching for a group of people who bailed out of a car on Interstate 95 and ran off towards Miami’s Wynwood arts district.

A view from Sky 10 showed a red car stopped on the shoulder of northbound I-95 near the Interstate 195 exit. 

Miami police said a Miami-Dade police officer was on his way to court when his cruiser was struck by a red Prius. The officer followed the car on I-95 until the people bailed out in the Wynwood area.

The group was last seen near Northwest Fifth Avenue and Northwest 28th Street.

Follow this story

US official: Additional remains of Sgt. La David Johnson found in Niger

Additional remains have been discovered of Sgt. La David Johnson who was killed in the October 4 ambush by ISIS fighters in Niger, according to a U.S. official.

The remains were recovered by a U.S. military and FBI team that traveled to the area. Johnson’s family was notified on Monday, the official said.

An armed forces medical examiner confirmed the remains were Johnson’s. The remains were discovered at the site where Johnson’s body was recovered.

There has been no public disclosure about whether these additional remains will provide any clues about Johnson’s death or what happened to his body during the 48 hours he was missing.

American officials are also investigating local eyewitness reports Sgt. Johnson was found with his hands tied, a defense official told CNN earlier this month, though the U.S. military has not confirmed those accounts.

A joint U.S. Africa Command and Niger military investigation team returned to Tongo Tongo, the village near where the attack took place on October 4.

According to U.S. Africa Command, investigators interviewed local villagers, physically examined multiple areas of interest and retraced actions before, during and after the ambush.

What happened to Johnson and how he became separated from the rest of the Green Beret-led team after it was attacked is one of the key mysteries surrounding the incident.

Johnson was reportedly found nearly a mile away from the central scene of the ambush in Niger that killed him and three other U.S. soldiers.

CBS News and The Washington Post have reported eyewitnesses of the aftermath disclosing his hands were tied.

The Post quoted a local farmer and trader saying some children tending cattle found Johnson’s remains with his hands tied behind his back and talked to a village chief confirming it.

Authorities, according to the official, are also investigating whether local villagers may have taken his body at some point before it was turned over to Nigerien forces.

Johnson’s body was recovered in a remote area of the northwestern African country by Nigerien troops nearly 48 hours after he was discovered to be missing in the wake of the attack, according to U.S. officials.

Several U.S. military officials caution the local reports are not yet verified.

The Green Beret-led team was traveling with 30 Nigerien soldiers when they were attacked by approximately 50 ISIS-affiliated fighters armed with rocket propelled grenades, mortars and heavy machine guns. The team became separated during the firefight, U.S. officials and a Nigerien soldier told CNN.

During the subsequent gun battle, which lasted for hours, four U.S. soldiers were killed and two were wounded. Five Nigeriens were also killed. American and Nigerien forces managed to kill 20 militants during the firefight according to a defense official.

The Defense Department has said it expects the investigation into the Niger ambush to be completed by January.

“The Department of Defense is committed to a thorough and detailed investigation into the deaths of Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright and Sgt. La David T. Johnson. Once the investigation is completed, briefing the families of the fallen will be the Department’s first priority,” a statement released last month said.

Follow this story

Off-duty officer with baby, shoots and kills robbers

A wild scene caught on video shows an off-duty police officer shooting and killing two burglary suspects, all while he held a baby in his arms.

Saturday’s incident inside a pharmacy in Sao Paulo, Brazil was captured by security cameras in the store.

The New York Post reports two men entered the pharmacy with guns drawn. One of the suspects pointed his weapon at Sgt. Rafael Souza, who was inside with his wife and son.

Despite being off-duty, Souza was also armed, and with his baby in one arm, used his other hand to shoot and kill the suspect in front of him.

Souza then went after the second suspect and was able to shoot and kill him as well. Both shootings occurred with Souza holding his baby.

 

 

Follow this story

Suspect in custody after police chase in West Miami

A suspect was being taken into custody Tuesday morning after a police chase in West Miami.

Sky 10 was above the scene as police were handcuffing the suspect near Southwest Fourth Street and Southwest 77th Avenue.

Police appeared to be focusing on a white SUV that was stopped in the grass with its driver’s side door open.

Local 10 News has contacted the West Miami Police Department for additional information.

Follow this story

Goldman Sachs: Unemployment to hit lowest since 1969

America’s unemployment rate has plummeted from 10% during the Great Recession to 4.1% today. Goldman Sachs thinks it’s not done falling.

The unemployment rate is likely to tumble to 3.5% by the end of 2019, Goldman Sachs predicted in a report published late Friday.

The last time unemployment was 3.5% was December 1969, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“Such a scenario would take the U.S. labor market into territory almost never seen outside of a major wartime mobilization,” Goldman Sachs chief economist Jan Hatzius wrote.

It’s a remarkable transformation given the millions of jobs lost and 10% unemployment experienced in the aftermath of the Great Recession.

Hatzius said 3.5% unemployment would symbolize an evolution from the “weakest labor market in postwar U.S. history to one of the tightest.”

Related: Americans see jobs aplenty. Good wages? Not so much

President Trump, who as a candidate promised to be the “greatest job producer that God ever created,” cheered the forecast for sub-4% unemployment.

“Analysts predict economic boom for 2018!” Trump tweeted on Monday morning without mentioning Goldman Sachs.

Trump has frequently predicted his plan for tax cuts will be a huge boon for the economy.

Goldman Sachs explained its economic optimism by pointing to “impressive momentum” that will be bolstered by post-hurricane rebuilding and “tax cuts now on the horizon.”

However, the firm said it expects the GOP tax plan will only have a “moderate” impact on the economy.

No matter the cause, Americans may finally get a much-needed raise. Hatzius predicted that “unimpressive” wage growth will finally accelerate thanks to the shrinking pool of available workers. He said wage growth should reach the 3% to 3.25% rate consistent with full employment in 2018.

Wage growth has been a glaring missing ingredient in the economic recovery. Nearly half of Americans polled by Pew in October feel their wages haven’t kept up with the cost of living.

There’s no doubt that stronger wages and 3.5% unemployment would be terrific news for Americans who have long been disappointed by the recovery from the Great Recession.

But for Wall Street, there could be reason for caution in the longer run. One reason: significant pay hikes would eat into corporate profits, and thus stock prices.

Moreover, if the unemployment rate gets to 1969 levels, the Federal Reserve may be forced to speed up interest rate hikes out of concern inflation will rear its ugly head. That could alarm investors because the Fed’s promise to only gradually raise rates has been a major driver of the stock market boom.

The job market “strength is becoming ‘too much of a good thing,'” Hatzius wrote. “Containing further overheating will become a more urgent priority in 2018 and beyond.”

That’s why he forecasts the Fed will raise interest rates four times next year, which is more than Wall Street is anticipating. Raising rates too quickly could even bring on a recession.

Morgan Stanley recently warned that adding expensive tax cuts to a healthy economy could cause the economy and stocks to “boom then bust.”

David Kelly, chief global strategist at JPMorgan Funds, wrote in a report on Monday that he’s also worried the economic expansion and bull market could get “overcooked” by continued low rates and tax cuts that are “entirely inappropriate.”

“For now, there are still only minor signs of overcooking. However, looking ahead to 2018, fiscal policy is about to turn up the heat,” he wrote.

Follow this story