Snow is in the forecast as the 4th nor’easter this month looms for New England and the mid-Atlantic

Spring begins Tuesday, but winter isn’t ready to retire just yet. A low-pressure system moving across the Southeast Monday is expected to develop into yet another nor’easter beginning Tuesday, according to CNN meteorologist Jenn Varian. This incoming s…

Follow this story

Fourth winter storm in 3 weeks to hit New England and mid-Atlantic

Spring begins Tuesday, but winter isn’t ready to retire just yet.

A low-pressure system moving across the Southeast on Sunday and Monday is expected to develop into yet another nor’easter beginning Tuesday, according to CNN meteorologist Jenn Varian. This incoming storm, which will bring rain and snow across the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, will be the fourth storm to ravage the East Coast in three weeks.

The system is still far enough out that models are still highly uncertain of the exact location of the storm, Varian said.

“If the storm remains too far east off of the coast, then it will not reach Boston/other New England coastal cities,” Varian said. “Snowfall accumulations at this time are with very low confidence.”

For now, the storm is looking to directly impact the mid-Atlantic, CNN meteorologist Haley Brink said. Washington is expected to get 4 to 6 inches of snow starting Tuesday, while southern New England is forecast to get 2 to 4 inches.

The National Weather Service said the storm could bring accumulating snow to coastal Massachusetts on Wednesday night into Thursday morning, along with wind gusts as high as 50 mph. The weather service also said the eastern coast of Massachusetts may be vulnerable to flooding early Thursday morning. Tides in Boston are forecast around 10.5 feet, Brink said.

New England is still reeling from last week’s storm, which the weather service declared a blizzard. Before that, a storm dropped heavy, wet snow in areas west of Interstate 95 and left one person dead in New York state.

On March 2, a nor’easter that morphed into a “bomb cyclone” slammed much of the Northeast with heavy snow and rain, hurricane-force wind gusts and significant coastal flooding. The storm left six people dead from falling trees, and about 900,000 people lost power.

Nor’easters aren’t uncommon for New England during this time of year, Varian said. They can occur any time of year, but they’re strongest from September to April.

Follow this story

200-year-old tree at Mt. Vernon struck down in nor’easter

The Facebook page for George Washington’s Mount Vernon posted photos of a tree thought to be planted by the first president, which was struck down in Friday’s storm.

Historians say the Canadian hemlock was gifted to Washington by New York Governor George Clinton in 1791. The storm also brought down a Virginia cedar that “stood watch over Washington’s tomb for many years.”

Mount Vernon administrators are reportedly looking into repurposing the wood, but say a lot of it was rotted.

{“author_name”:”George Washington’s Mount Vernon”,”author_url”:””,”provider_url”:””,”provider_name”:”Facebook”,”success”:true,”height”:null,”html”:”&#lt;div id=\”fb-root\”&#gt;&#lt;/div&#gt;\n&#lt;script&#gt;(function(d, s, id) {\n var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];\n if (d.getElementById(id)) return;\n js = d.createElement(s); = id;\n js.src = ‘’;\n fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);\n}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));&#lt;/script&#gt;&#lt;div class=\”fb-post\” data-href=\”\” data-width=\”552\”&#gt;&#lt;blockquote cite=\”\” class=\”fb-xfbml-parse-ignore\”&#gt;&#lt;p&#gt;Today at Mount Vernon, strong winds brought down a 227-year-old Canadian Hemlock, as well as a Virginia cedar that stood watch over Washington’s tomb for many years.&#lt;/p&#gt;Posted by &#lt;a href=\”\”&#gt;George Washington's Mount Vernon&#lt;/a&#gt; on &#lt;a href=\”\”&#gt;Friday, March 2, 2018&#lt;/a&#gt;&#lt;/blockquote&#gt;&#lt;/div&#gt;”,”type”:”rich”,”version”:”1.0″,”url”:”″,”width”:552}

Follow this story

Strong waves hit South Florida beaches amid spring break rush

The powerful Nor’easter is causing dangerous conditions in the water along the East Coast.

Local 10 News reporter Andrew Perez was in Dania Beach Monday morning where some surfers took advantage of the higher-than-normal waves, despite authorities warning beachgoers to stay away from the water.

“When you catch a wave, it’s just the best feeling,” one surfer said.

“There’s a little bit of an undertow,” another surfer added. “It’s pulling south a lot, so if you start off here by the dock, it’s going to pull you all the way down there. So by the time you get out, even if you just swim with the board behind you, it’s going to pull you and pull you all the way through.” 

Water was also seen pouring into the parking lot, flooding parts of Dania Beach. 

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokeswoman Erika Benitez said a fireboat and the U.S. Coast Guard responded to a report just before 9:30 a.m. Monday of a 25-foot boat capsized seven miles southeast of the Cape Florida Lighthouse in Key Biscayne.

She said four passengers were in the water and were pulled onto the fireboat.

All four were in seemingly good condition and were taken back to shore, Benitez said. 

Benitez said a small craft advisory is currently in place for the area, which means that wind speeds of 21 to 33 knots are expected to produce hazardous wave conditions to small boats.

Authorities encourage all boaters to have life-safety vests as well as fully functional marine radios on-board in case of an emergency. 

Over at Jupiter Inlet, a young girl was swept off the jetty and into the water Sunday by a strong wave, WPTV reported.

The wave forced the child under the guardrail and into the water.

Bystanders pulled the girl from the water and she was said to have suffered minor injuries, including a cut to the head and some scrapes and bruises.

Waves in Lake Worth were up to about 10 feet Sunday, a lifeguard told WPTV.

The National Weather Service reported a high rip current risk in coastal Miami-Dade and Broward counties through Tuesday evening.

A coastal flood advisory is also in effect in Broward County until 7 p.m. Monday.

Some pretty rough surf across SOFLO today. Be careful @WPLGLocal10

— Andrew Perez (@PerezLocal10) March 5, 2018

Follow this story

$200 million in supplies heading to Puerto Rico to fix the power grid

More than $200 million dollars’ worth of materials are expected to arrive in Puerto Rico this month to help the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers hit its 95% power restoration goal at the end of the month.

More than 7,000 poles and nearly 400 miles of conductor wire are slated to arrive in the next two weeks, said Col. Jason Kirk, commander of the Corps’ district that includes the island.

The additional supplies, according to Kirk, are part of the reason he believes the people of Puerto Rico can count on 90 to 95% power restoration by March 31.

Contractors restoring power in Puerto Rico under the USACE are expected to leave the island by mid-April, according to the Corps’ current plan as obtained by CNN.

According to Puerto Rico’s power authority, on average 87% of the island has power. But Kirk admits that number falls to about 50% in the interior part of the island, and 150,000 US citizens on the island still don’t have power.

“We know that there are a couple of regions that will take into April, potentially May,” Kirk told CNN.

USACE is downsizing, as the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority is increasing its workforce across the island. The Army Corps of Engineers projects its contractors will have completed work by April 7.

Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló has repeatedly expressed frustration at the slow pace of recovery and help. He has questioned the USACE’s response on the island compared to other states dealing with disasters. At a press conference Wednesday, he claimed people on the US territory are being treated like second class citizens, saying, “I don’t see the urgency.”

Getting the work done has also become a frustration for mayors on the island like Jorge Gonzalez Otero of Jayuya, in the interior part of the island.

He tells people in his municipality, “Prepare yourselves. We’re in it for the long haul.”

Only 45% of Jayuya, according to the mayor’s office, has power. Hurricane Maria wiped out the power grid when it hit Puerto Rico on September 20 last year. And even where the electricity has been restored, like in the capital San Juan, mass outages are still happening.

USACE admits materials have been a challenge in restoration efforts.

“The initial assessment told us that we would need about 60,000 power poles and over 3 million individual items to work the repair of 30,000 miles of line across the island,” Kirk said.

To date, USACE has received 38,831 poles and 3,068 miles of conductor wire for power restoration efforts. Some of the materials expected to arrive this month were manufactured in January in South Carolina.

According to Kirk, a big part of the challenge is the amount of material needed, the distance it has to travel, and the response to other disasters.

Puerto Rico’s governor claims USACE agreed to have power restored in 45 days, but did not provide proof.

Kirk, however, counters, “The Army Corps has never committed to a 45-day restoration time line.”

At its peak, USACE had more than 4,000 contractors and personnel at work on the island. Currently, about 2,300 workers are engaged in the power restoration efforts, as many people across the island wait for the lights to come back on.

Follow this story