Florida coach, Auburn player clash after softball game

Florida softball coach Tim Walton was involved in an altercation with Auburn shortstop Haley Fagan on Monday night after Walton gave Fagan a slight push during postgame handshakes.

The Tigers beat Florida 1-0, and when Fagan left Walton hanging for a handshake, the coach lightly shoved her in the shoulder with his right hand. Fagan turned and pushed Walton back, and the two exchanged words. 

A scrum broke out around them, and Fagan ended up being pulled away from Walton while screaming at the coach.

Fagan’s sisters, Kasey and Sami, both played for Walton at Florida but were dismissed from the Gators in 2012. Kasey is a graduate assistant with the Auburn softball team.

Florida is the top-ranked team in the country, per the ESPN.com/USA Softball poll. The Tigers are ranked sixth.

Follow this story

Girl burned while making homemade slime

A girl suffered burns on her hands while participating in a recently popular trend for kids.

After making homemade slime at a sleepover last weekend, Kathleen Quinn, 11, woke up in the middle of the night after returning home, complaining of a excruciating pain in her hands.

“She was crying in pain, ‘My hands hurt, my hands hurt,'” Kathleen’s mother, Siobhan Quinn, told WCVB. “When we looked at them, they were covered in blisters.”

KABC reports Quinn was taken to the hospital where she was diagnosed with second- and third-degree burns, which were likely the result from prolonged exposure to borax, one of the main ingredients in the slime.

Making homemade slime has become popular over the last year after increased visibility on social media. Borax, Elmer’s Glue and Borax are the main ingredients in the slime.

Despite warnings that Borax is meant to be used as a cleaner or laundry additive, many parents allow their children to continue using it in what they believe is a harmless activity.

“I’ve had other mothers say, ‘Oh, we’ve made it a million times, it’s fine, nothing happened to my child,’” Siobhan told WCVB. “We made it a million times, too, and nothing else happened.”

 

 

Follow this story

Family of Canadian filmmaker who died during dive files wrongful-death lawsuit

The family of a Canadian filmmaker who died while diving in the Florida Keys earlier this year is suing the dive company and its owner for negligence.

An attorney for the family of Rob Stewart held a news conference Tuesday morning in Coral Gables to announce the wrongful-death lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Broward County, claims that Stewart’s death could have been prevented and that the defendants “had a duty to exercise reasonable care for the safety of its passengers.”

Named in the lawsuit are Horizon Dive Adventures, Fort Lauderdale-based Add Helium, its owner, Peter Sotis, and his wife, Claudia Sotis.

The lawsuit alleges that the Delray Beach couple “supervised, planned, ordered or controlled” Stewart’s final dive Jan. 31 at the Queen of Nassau wreck site near Islamorada. He disappeared shortly after resurfacing, and his body was found three days later.

Stewart family attorney Michael Haggard called the incident an “unbelievably preventable tragedy.”

Sotis passed out after getting on the boat while Stewart was still in the water, Stewart’s parents and their attorney said Tuesday.

“In the mass confusion of him passing out on the boat, no one, no one from that boat, from Horizon Divers, from Add Helium, kept an eye on Rob Stewart,” Haggard told reporters.

Stewart’s father said the dive crew lost sight of Stewart while they were tending to Sotis on the boat.

“The self-interest of Peter Sotis is the reason Rob’s dead right now,” Brian Stewart said.

Brian Stewart also criticized Horizon Dive Adventures for not having eyes in the water.

Stewart’s family is seeking damages in excess of $15,000 and a jury trial.

Stewart directed the 2006 documentary “Sharkwater.” He was in the Keys working on the sequel at the time of his death.

Follow this story

South Florida man arrested after confessing to killing wife, police say

A South Florida man was arrested early Tuesday after he called 911 and confessed to shooting his wife, police said.

Stephen Kruspe, 62, of Lake Worth, faces a charge of first-degree murder. He is accused of fatally shooting his wife, Pamela Kruspe.

According to a Boynton Beach police report, Stephen Kruspe called 911 Monday night and said that he shot his wife at Parkside Inn, an assisted-living facility for people with Alzheimer’s disease.

When police arrived, they found Pamela Kruspe, 61, dead with a gunshot wound to her chest.

Police said her body was behind the facility, and a loaded .45-caliber handgun was found on the back patio railing.

Stephen Kruspe was arrested and confessed to killing his wife, but his confession was redacted in the arrest report, Boynton Beach police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said.

Police said Pamela Kruspe was a patient at Parkside Inn.

Follow this story

16 tons of cocaine offloaded at Port Everglades

The U.S. Coast Guard offloaded about 16 tons of cocaine Tuesday at Port Everglades.

The drugs are valued at $1.2 billion and were seized in international waters off the eastern Pacific Ocean. 

“Our folks are definitely putting themselves in harm’s way to do this mission,” U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor said.

According to a news release, the Coast Guard interdicted the drugs during a 26-day period along Central and South America.

One bust, which was captured on surveillance video, yielded hundreds of bales of cocaine.

The drugs are now part of larger federal investigation involving 30 accused drug smugglers who are now in custody.

Coast Guard officials said in some instances they had to shoot out the engine in the fleeing vessel to get the boat to stop.

“We’re averaging about 12 of these a month,” Capt. Kevin Gavin said. “As I like to say, unfortunately, business is very good for us, (but) I wish that it wasn’t.”

The confiscated drugs are the result of about 45 days of work for the U.S. Coast Guard.

“It’s not just the cocaine,” Fedor said. “It’s all of the ramifications from the cocaine, both in the United States, as well as in our Central American partners — the damage that it causes to those communities.”

The drugs were offloaded from a Coast Guard cutter and handed over to the DEA.

“Coco crop in Colombia is the biggest it’s been in a long time,” Fedor said. “At the same time that’s happening, we’re introducing — the Coast Guard is introducing — more capable assets out there to interdict the flow of cocaine.”

Multiple U.S. agencies participated in the drug bust. 

Follow this story

2 undercover Miami-Dade officers shot, taken to hospital in pickup truck

A pickup truck carrying two wounded Miami-Dade police officers sped up to the doors of Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital on Monday night.

The officers, who are members of a violent crime task force, were ambushed at about 10 p.m. while they were conducting surveillance at an apartment complex in the 1900 block of Northwest 59th Street as part of a multi-agency operation on gang activity, Maj. Hector Llevat said.

“One of the officers was able to return fire,” Llevat said. “Individuals like this that have the audacity to ambush a vehicle unprovoked and open fire like that, are individuals in this community that are causing havoc and terrorizing this community day in and day out. These are the officers that were out here to put a stop to that.” 

Officers in the area sprung to action after the shooting.

“They could smell the gunpowder,” Miami-Dade police Director Juan Perez said. “They were running after the smell of gunpowder, trying to find these individuals.”

The wounded officers were rushed to the hospital in the bed of a pickup truck and were able to limp inside with the help of their colleagues. 

“We do whatever we have to do to save our officers,”  Perez said. “We got lucky tonight that the officers will survive. It’s not going to deter us. In fact, what this does is the opposite. This burns a fire inside of us right now to continue to work even harder.” 

The officers were in stable condition at the hospital Monday night while the shooters remained at large. 

“These are the people who are shooting our kids,” Perez said. “These are the people that shoot at the Martin Luther King parade. These are the people who are causing that havoc in our community. And we’re not going to stop. This isn’t going to deter us from doing our jobs. This is going to ignite a bigger fire within us to protect our citizens, our communities, and our neighborhoods here in Miami-Dade.”

Perez asked the public for prayers for the two injured officers and called on anyone with information about the shooting to come forward. 

“That’s what these guys are, murderers in our community. So let’s get together, let’s work together, to find a resolution to what occurred here tonight,” he said. “Point us in the right direction.”

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez echoed Perez’s message and said attacks on officers will not be tolerated.

“You can see by the tone and also the look on their faces, we’re all united. Whoever perpetrated this crime against our two officers, we’re going to do everything in our power to arrest them and bring them to justice,” Gimenez said.

He then asked for those with information to come forward.

“If they can shoot a police officer, they can shoot at anybody,” Gimenez said. “So we want to put these perpetrators away before they hurt anyone else or, God forbid, kill somebody else, because they have no regard for anything in our community. They don’t deserve to be walking the streets of Miami-Dade County.” 

Police released a description for one of the two shooters. 

That person is described as being between 17 to 18 years old and was last seeing wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirt that was closed in a way that only his eyes were shown. 

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. 

 

Follow this story