About two dozen NFL players kneel for national anthem in London

About two dozen players, including Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs and Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette, took a knee during the playing of the national anthem before the start of the teams’ game at Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

Other players on one knee during the performance included Ravens linebacker C.J. Mosley, wide receiver Mike Wallace and safety Lardarius Webb as well as Jaguars linebacker Dante Fowler, defensive tackle Calais Campbell, defensive end Yannick Ngakoue and cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

Players on both teams and Jaguars owner Shad Khan, who were not kneeling, remained locked arm-in-arm throughout the playing of the national anthem and “God Save The Queen,” the national anthem of Britain.

No players were kneeling during the playing of the British national anthem.

President Donald Trump had a suggestion on Saturday for National Football League owners whose players decide to take a knee during the national anthem: fire them.

Several NFL players decided to #takeaknee on Sunday. Do you agree with their decision?

— WPLG Local 10 News (@WPLGLocal10) September 24, 2017

Follow this story

Tebow hands out food to Hurricane Irma victims in Florida Keys

Former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow is lending a helping hand to Hurricane Irma relief efforts in the Florida Keys.

The former University of Florida and NFL quarterback was distributing free hot meals, cold water and ice to Irma victims Thursday in Big Pine Key.

Joined by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, Tebow shook hands and took pictures with people who lined up to greet him.

“We can’t repair everything in a day. You probably can’t do it for a little while,” Tebow said. “But you can let people know that they’re cared for, that they’re prayed for and they’re not in this journey alone.”

And yes, a small dose of fanfare followed Tebow. 

“I went to school at UF when he was a quarterback, so it’s cool to see him down here,” Devan Mercury, a Keys resident, said. 

The former Florida star has a special place in his heart for his home state and the vulnerable Keys. 

Rubio said he and Tebow wanted to interact with Keys residents and “hear from them.”

“We have staff here on the ground 24 hours a day now,” Rubio said, adding that volunteers deserve a special thank you. 

A few of those first responders and volunteers, who are from across the country, snapped photos with Tebow, along with residents who have been impacted by the storm. 

“It just means a lot that he took the time out to come down here and show his support for us,” Brandi Sokolosky said. 

Tebow currently plays minor league baseball with the St. Lucie Mets, the single-A affiliate of the New York Mets. He was a member of two national championship teams with the Gators (2006 and 2008) and won the Heisman in 2007.

Follow this story

Dolphins WR Landry under investigation for battery

Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry is under investigation for battery.

The investigation of the 4-year NFL veteran stems from an incident that allegedly occurred earlier this year at Landry’s Fort Lauderdale apartment.

Andy Slater was first to report the investigation.

The victim is not cooperating with law enforcement officials.  NFL Network reports the woman is the mother of Landry’s child.

Police forwarded the case to the Broward County State Attorney’s Office. A decision on possible charges is not expected to come this week.

With his current contract set to end after the 2017 season, Landry has been looking to receive a new deal from the Dolphins. However, the receiver says he will end negotiations with the team once the season starts.

Drafted in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft out of LSU, Landry has been a star for the Dolphins, posting over 1,000 yards receiving the last two seasons with 14 total touchdowns.

Follow this story

Cutler arrives in Miami, misses Monday practice

Without throwing a pass, the Dolphins newest quarterback received a rock star welcome to South Florida.

Jay Cutler arrived in Miami Monday to begin his Dolphins career.

Cutler was seen walking through Miami International Airport, escorted by Miami-Dade Police officers so as to avoid any onlookers from storming the man who agreed to a one-year, $10 million contract.

Unfortunately, Cutler’s arrival came over an hour after the rest of the team began practice at the training facility in Davie. The new quarterback is expected to go through his first practice Tuesday morning.

Cutler agreed to return to the NFL Sunday after a brief retirement following the knee injury to Ryan Tannehill.

Tannehill is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery in the coming days or weeks.

Dolphins head coach Adam Gase was Cutler’s offensive coordinater when the two were were with the Bears during the 2015 season.

SLATER SCOOP: Jay Cutler just arrived in Miami. #dolphins pic.twitter.com/opSxnHeAoH

— Andy Slater (@AndySlater) August 7, 2017

Follow this story

Dolphins’ Gase says Tannehill getting second opinion, Moore is quarterback ‘right now’

Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase says quarterback Ryan Tannehill is getting a second opinion on his injured knee, but the team has not made an decision on his playing future.

Speaking Friday morning in an impromptu media briefing, Gase said surgery is still an option for Tannehill, but refused to discuss the possibility that the injury the quarterback suffered Thursday is season-ending.

Twenty-four hours after the injury, there is no timetable for a final decision.

“So we’re still getting kind of, I wouldn’t say second and third (opinions), we’re probably going deeper than that,” added Gase. “(We’re) talking to a lot of people, just making sure we’re getting all the right information and then we’ll make a decision after that.”

Gase added that backup Matt Moore is the team’s quarterback “right now.”

Tannehill was at the Dolphins training facility watching practice from inside the building. The Dolphins quarterback suffered the injury to his left knee during a drill Thursday morning.

“It’s hard. He’s a buddy, a teammate,” Moore said after Friday’s practice. “You never want to see that happen. This is part of my role. I’ve done this before and stepping up and being ready if need be.”

“(Tannehill) is obviously waiting, like we all are. Nobody knows what’s going on, but he seems to be in good spirits. He was here watching tape yesterday with us and hanging out, so it was good.”

Moore went 2-2 with the team last season after Tannehill injured the same knee.

ESPN reported Tannehill’s injury could be season-ending late Thursday.

Follow this story

O.J. Simpson granted parole for early release

O.J. Simpson will be paroled after serving nine years in prison for a botched bid to retrieve sports memorabilia in Las Vegas.

A Nevada parole board decided Thursday that the 70-year-old former football, TV and movie star will be released in October after serving his minimum term for armed robbery and assault with a weapon.

Simpson responded emotionally, saying, “Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

Four parole commissioners in Carson City questioned Simpson by videoconference from the Lovelock Correctional Center in rural Nevada. He has been held there since he was convicted in 2008.

The conviction came 13 years to the day after he was acquitted of murder in 1995 in the deaths of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles.

Looking trimmer than he has in recent years, Simpson walked briskly into the hearing room dressed in jeans, a light-blue prison-issue shirt and sneakers. He laughed at one point as the parole board chairwoman mistakenly gave his age as 90.

Simpson, 70, said he never pointed a gun at anyone nor made any threats during the crime that put him in prison, and he forcefully insisted that nearly all the memorabilia he saw in two dealers’ hotel room belonged to him.

“In no way, shape or form did I wish them any harm,” he added, saying he later made amends with those in the room.

He said he has spent his time in prison mentoring fellow inmates, often keeping others out of trouble, and believes he has become a better person during his time behind bars. He said he took an alternative-to-violence course in prison.

‘I’ve done my time,” he said. “I’ve done it as well and respectfully as I think anybody can.”

A vote in his favor enables Simpson to get out as early as Oct. 1. By then, he will have served the minimum of his nine-to-33-year armed-robbery sentence.

The Hall of Fame athlete’s chances of winning release were considered good, given similar cases and Simpson’s model behavior behind bars.

His defenders have argued, too, that his sentence was out of proportion to the crime and that he was being punished for the two murders he was acquitted of during his 1995 “Trial of the Century” in Los Angeles, the stabbings of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

Reflecting America’s enduring fascination with Simpson, several major TV networks and cable channels – including ABC, NBC, CNN, Fox, MSNBC and ESPN – carried the proceedings live, just as some of them did two decades ago during the Ford Bronco chase that ended in Simpson’s arrest, and again when the jury in the murder case came back with its verdict.

Simpson said most of the objects taken in the hotel heist were personal property, including letters from celebrities, family photos, certificates of accomplishment and more. Items that were not his, including autographed baseballs, were taken by others in the rush to get out of the room, he said.

He added he realizes he made a terrible mistake bringing along two people with guns, adding if he had gone to the room by himself he could have resolved the matter without a problem.

Simpson said if released he plans to return to Florida, where he was living before his incarceration.

“I could easily stay in Nevada, but I don’t think you guys want me here,” he joked at one point.

“No comment, sir,” one of the parole board members said.

Inmate No. 1027820 made his plea for freedom in a stark hearing room at the Lovelock Correctional Center in rural Nevada as four parole commissioners in Carson City, a two-hour drive away, questioned him via video. 

An electrifying running back dubbed “The Juice,” Simpson won the Heisman Trophy as the nation’s best college football player in 1968 and went on to become one of the NFL’s all-time greats.

The handsome and charismatic athlete was also a “Monday Night Football” commentator, sprinted through airports in Hertz rental-car commercials and built a Hollywood career with roles in the “Naked Gun” comedies and other movies.

All of that came crashing down with his arrest in the 1994 slayings and his trial, a gavel-to-gavel live-TV sensation that transfixed viewers with its testimony about the bloody glove that didn’t fit and stirred furious debate over racist police, celebrity justice and cameras in the courtroom.

Last year, the case proved to be compelling TV all over again with the ESPN documentary “O.J.: Made in America” and the award-winning FX miniseries “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story.”

In 1997, Simpson was found liable in civil court for the two killings and ordered to pay $33.5 million to survivors, including his children and the Goldman family.

Then a decade later, he and five accomplices – two with guns – stormed a hotel room and seized photos, plaques and signed balls, some of which never belonged to Simpson, from two sports memorabilia dealers.

Simpson was convicted in 2008, and the long prison sentence brought a measure of satisfaction to some of those who thought he got away with murder.

One of the dealers robbed, Bruce Fromong, planned to attend the parole hearing, saying he and Simpson had made amends and that he intended to speak in favor of release.

A Goldman family spokesman said Goldman’s father and sister, Fred and Kim, would not be part of the hearing and feel apprehensive about “how this will change their lives again should Simpson be released.”

The now-retired district attorney who prosecuted Simpson for the heist, David Roger, has denied Simpson’s sentence was “payback” for his murder acquittal. He has also said that if Simpson behaved in prison, he should get parole.

Follow this story