Police identify suspect in connection with armed home invasion in Coral Gables

Police have identified a suspect in connection with an armed home invasion robbery that was reported last month in Coral Gables.

Police said Jorge Iran Montero, 48, is currently in jail in Broward County after he was arrested by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Broward Sheriff’s Office on unrelated charges.

Coral Gables police said Montero is believed to be the man who robbed a couple the night of July 20 inside their home in the 800 block of Navarre Avenue.

Detectives believe Montero followed the victims home after they ate at Versailles Cafe.

Police said the robber pulled out a small semi-automatic handgun and demanded the victims’ jewelry.

Montero left in a white Mercedes-Benz, authorities said.

Police said they identified Montero as the robber after receiving several Crime Stoppers tips.

They said they plan to secure an arrest warrant to charge Montero with home invasion robbery with a firearm.

The couple was not injured during the robbery.

Follow this story

Matthew Guzman sentenced to 45 years in prison for killing 2 men

Matthew Guzman was sentenced to 45 years in state prison Monday, nearly seven years after he gunned down a Kendall tire shop owner and another man.

Guzman, 28, accepted a plea deal and must serve at least 25 years of his sentence, plus six years of probation after his release and mental health counseling.

Police said one of the victims, Paul Barrow, 46, was gunned down Dec. 16, 2010, inside Barrow’s Devonaire Service and Tire at the corner of 112th Street and SW 122nd Avenue.

Police said he was found shot in the head by a customer who found Barrow lying on the floor near the store’s office.

Guzman was arrested a month after the shooting on murder and robbery charges.

Detectives said Guzman confessed to killing Barrow and told detectives that he also killed his neighbor, Harry Ray, 64, a month earlier.

Authorities said Guzman and Ray got into an argument at Ray’s home in Miami in November 2010, which led to the shooting.

They said Guzman shot Ray several times, including in the head.

Guzman bowed his head as he listened to emotional testimony from the victims’ loved ones.

“I don’t know what he’s thinking. I think he had remorse, I do — not that it helps us,” Barrow’s widow, Audree Barrow, said. “But I do feel like he did have some kind of remorse.”

“I think it’s the first time that he’s showed emotion in six years,” Ray’s daughter, Cindy Muffett, said. “I think reality has set in.”

 

Follow this story

Off-duty Coral Gables Fire Rescue lieutenant struck by stray bullet in northwest Miami-Dade

An off-duty Coral Gables Fire Rescue lieutenant was injured Sunday night in a shooting in northwest Miami-Dade, authorities said on Monday.Miami-Dade police spokeswoman Robin Pinkard said the lieutenant was struck by a stray bullet shortly before …

Follow this story

Final suspect arrested in connection with Bass Pro Shops burglary

Deputies with the Broward Sheriff’s Office have arrested the final suspect who detectives believe was involved in a burglary at a Bass Pro Shops in Dania Beach.

Tyius D’Sean Duffy, 19, was arrested Friday.

Four other men,  Noel Baker, 24, Shawn Derival, 19, Antar King, 18, and Myron Love, 18, have also been arrested. 

All of the men face multiple counts of grand theft of a firearm and armed burglary. Baker, who detectives said was the mastermind behind the burglary, faces additional charges of criminal conspiracy and violating the terms of his probation. 

Detectives said the suspects broke into the Bass Pro Shops at 220 Gulf Stream Way shortly after 11:45 p.m. July 21 by pushing down a chain-link fence and then breaking two glass windows.

Deputies said the thieves, who were wearing hoodies and cloths to cover their faces, initially tried to smash out a glass door at the back of the business, but were thwarted by the impact glass.

Surveillance video shows them heading to the hunting section once they got into the store, deputies said.

According to Derival’s arrest report, employees remove all handguns at closing time and place them in a vault, but the shotguns and rifles are not put away.

Deputies said the men went back and forth inside the store four times over several hours while stealing the guns.

Detectives said the thieves got away with 19 weapons, 16 of which were recovered two days after the burglary at an apartment near 800 W. Pembroke Road in Hallandale Beach.

Detectives are still searching for the remaining three shotguns. 

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective German Bickbau at 954-926-2400 or Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS. 

Follow this story

Miami-Dade County School Board sued after teacher accused of molesting students

A former student of Miami Palmetto Senior High School has filed a lawsuit against the Miami-Dade County Public School Board, more than a year after her former teacher was arrested on charges of sexual battery on a minor.

According to the complaint, Jason Meyers had molested female students since around November 2004, when he was employed at Dr. Michael M. Krop High School .

The lawsuit claims that Meyers performed and received oral sex from a 17-year-old student at the school and was later seen by school police leaning over the girl in a “very personal and intimate fashion” in the school’s hallway.

Meyers is then accused of sexually abusing another girl at the school in or around 2006, and then a third in 2006 or 2007.

The complaint states that the school’s principal was notified about the allegations in an email in October 2008, and Meyers was transferred to Palmetto High School.

However, Meyers continued targeting students in his creative writing class and club, the lawsuit stated.

The lawsuit stated that Meyers would be around several students so much that school officials, administrators and other teachers referred to them as “Jason’s girls.”

Meyers would be seen walking the girls to their cars and hanging out with them around school, including in his classroom, the complaint stated.

The victim who filed the lawsuit was 16 and 17 years old when she was in Meyers’ creative writing class.

The girl claims that Meyers told her that her writing was “good, but boring,” and told her to write “edgier” and sexually explicit content for him.

The lawsuit stated that he also instructed her to read sexually explicit material such as “Lolita,” “Lawns,” and “Tess of the d’Urbervilles: A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented.”

Meyers “emphasized passages about the courtship of a young girl by an older man, the molestation of a young girl by her father and rape,” the complaint alleged.

Meyers is also accused of sending the girl notes during class that said “I’ve been thinking about you,” and “I want to kiss you.”

According to the complaint, he later forcibly kissed her, “spread her legs apart, positioned his groin between her thighs, pressed his body against hers, forced his hands underneath (her) clothes, and fondled (her) body.”

Meyers is also accused of telling the teen to take nude photos of herself for him and pressuring her to have sex with him at school, at his home and at her home when her parents were away.

The complaint alleges that he also molested her at a school-sponsored event, Banyan Bowl, in Pinecrest Gardens.

The lawsuit stated that after Meyers’ arrest, four other students were identified as victims of sexual abuse.

According to the complaint, Meyers’ wife, who was pregnant when he was arrested, was also a teacher at Palmetto Senior High School and was aware of at least some of the allegations against her husband.

Meyers was arrested at his home in February 2016.

The complaint stated that a detective saw three of Meyers’ children running around inside the house naked and touching their own genitals.

Police notified the Florida Department of Children and Families.

A Miami-Dade County Public Schools spokeswoman said Meyers was fired by the school district after his arrest.

The lawsuit demands a jury trial and seeks “compensatory damages, punitive damages, injunctive relief, attorneys’ fees, pre-and-post-judgment interest and such other relief as (the) court deems just and proper.”

Follow this story

Bicyclist seriously injured in northwest Miami-Dade hit-and-run crash

A man was seriously injured Thursday when he was struck by a vehicle in northwest Miami-Dade, authorities said.

The hit-and-run crash was reported just after 3:30 p.m. in the area of Northwest 64th Street and 23rd Avenue.

Miami-Dade police said William Hill Jr., 55, was riding his bicycle west on 64th Street when he was struck by a pickup truck.

Residents who live in the area told Local 10 News reporter Michael Seiden that Hill was unconscious after the crash and “in really bad shape.”

“I was so scared because I ride my bike,” Charlotte Wyche said. “He was just out. I can’t say, but at first I thought the man was dead.”

The driver continued heading north on 23rd Avenue, authorities said. 

Detectives said the four-door, dark-colored truck had chrome steps, tinted windows and a paper tag.

Authorities said the truck was possible a Ford F-250, F-350 or a quad cab.

Hill was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital after the crash. 

Anyone with information about the hit-and-run is asked to call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. A reward of up to $1,000 is offered for information that leads to an arrest. 

Follow this story