Detectives identify Miami Lakes shooting victim as 37-year-old man

Detectives identified the victim of a Thursday night shooting in Miami Lakes as 37-year-old Lester Santana Hernandez.

Miami-Dade Police Department officers responded to Northwest 89th Avenue near Northwest 146th Street. The shooting prompted a vehicle to crash into a tree. 

Officers found Santana Hernandez dead in the back seat of the crashed car with several gunshot wounds. He didn’t have a criminal record in Miami-Dade or Broward counties.

A helicopter and police dogs were involved in the Thursday night search for the suspect, which involved temporary street closures. 

Detectives were asking anyone with information to call Miami-Dade County Crime Stoppers at 1-866-471-8477.

Follow this story

Miami Beach man planned to burn down condo to ‘kill all the Jews,’ police say

A Miami Beach man was arrested Thursday after he tried to burn down his condominium building in the city and “kill all the Jews,” police said.

Walter Stolper, 72, faces charges of attempted arson and attempted murder.

Miami Beach police Officer Ernesto Rodriguez said investigators received a credible tip that Stolper was planning to burn down The Pavilion residences on Collins Avenue.

Rodriguez said Stolper was angry after having recently been served with eviction papers.

Another resident of the condo told police that Stolper told him he was going to pour gasoline down the drain line of the building, ignite it and then padlock the building’s fire hoses to prevent firefighters from extinguishing the flames.

Investigators later found Stolper in the parking garage of the building, pushing two plastic containers in a shopping cart. The containers were filled with gas. Investigators said they found eight more plastic containers filled with gas in a garbage chute dumpster.

According to the arrest affidavit, gas had been poured down the chute from the 15th floor — the same floor on which Stolper lived. Investigators said the plastic containers were identical to the ones found in the shopping cart.

“I bought the gas to make a small BBQ,” Stolper told police, according to the affidavit.

Rodriguez said detectives later found a storage room in the building holding 28 additional containers filled with gas, sulfur powder and potassium nitrate.

“We remain confident the work of our detectives averted a tragedy,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the state attorney’s office will decide whether Stolper should be charged with a hate crime.

Follow this story

19-year-old man accused of starting apartment fire that displaced nearly 40 residents

A 19-year-old man was arrested early Thursday for starting an apartment fire in Miami Gardens that displaced nearly 40 residents, authorities said.The fire was reported around 3 p.m. Wednesday at the Crystal Lakes Apartments in the 2600 block of Northw…

Follow this story

David Beckham launches charm offensive ahead of stadium vote

David Beckham turned on the charm at multiple appearances in Miami Wednesday — one day ahead of a key vote for his bid to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to the city.

The former international soccer star made a surprise visit to young patients at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, signing soccer balls and even playing video games. A few hours later, he appeared at Wharf Miami for a World Cup watch party with fans. And just before the crucial city commission tomorrow, Beckham will be hosting a public barbecue at the Regatta Club, less than a mile from Miami City Hall.

“We can only do what we came here to do and be positive and show people what we want to bring to the city of Miami and let the people decide,” Beckham told reporters at the watch party.

Beckham and top business partner Jorge Mas will be pitching their plans for a Major League Soccer stadium on the site of the city-owned Melreese Country Club.

They want to ask the commission to let the voters have the final say in November.

Along with the stadium, they want to build a massive technology park, underground parking, public soccer fields, hotel rooms, retail stores and much more. 

The Beckham group claims the finished complex will produce about $44 million in tax revenue. 

But the proposal has its opponents.

Petitions are circulating to save the course and its athletic programs for children.

“Please do not pave our parks,” said former Miami Mayor Manny Diaz, adding it would be “a grave mistake.”

And Miami native and pro-golfer Erik Compton tweeted: “Friends please help protect this beautiful green space, this public golf course and this home to amazing youth programs.”

Beckham’s business partner Jorge Mas told Local 10’s Michael Putney this week that his plan doesn’t completely get rid of the course and keeps the youth golf programs.

Their presentation in front of the city commission will start at 2 p.m. Thursday, followed by public comment. Many of the children who play at Melreese plan to speak.

Follow this story