Local 10’s Weather Authority team joins students at Marlins Park for STEAM Day

Local 10’s Weather Authority team was present Thursday for the second annual Steam Day at Marlins Park, interacting with children and showing off some cool experiments.

Hundreds of young students packed Marlins Park Thursday for the event.

“I like engineering and math,” said Camila Vargas, who is a student at Christina M. Eve Elementary School. “When we get to build stuff and when we get to actually see it come together.”

“I’m looking forward to see the Marlins play and seeing what activities they are going to do,” another student, Katherine Fennema, said.  

The children from schools across Miami-Dade and Broward counties are taking part in an educational program called STEAM, which is short for science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.

And who better to teach the students about science and math other than Local 10’s Weather Authority meteorologist team? 

“I love having the students coming here and have hands-on experience so they understand more about meteorology,” Local 10 meteorologist Julie Durda said.  

Local 10’s Durda, Luke Dorris and chief meteorologist Betty Davis all participated in the event with the National Weather Service, Florida International University, iFLY and the Museum of Discovery and Science to mix in some fun with learning, showcasing various experiments along with something new this year.

“We have a demonstration from iFLY, and the Local 10 Weather Authority team was fortunate enough to be able to fly with iFLY last week,” Davis said. 

“School can be fun and science allows us to do cool stuff, like what we’ll do today,” Dorris said. “We’ll have some explosions. We’ll have a catapult competition. Things like that that make the learning experience fun, and we apply it each and every day in what we do as far as the weather goes.”

The students were very excited after they capped off their fun-filled morning of learning, as they got the chance to enjoy seeing the Marlins take on the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Follow this story

Jose Fernandez’s family says crash has left them in financial ruin

A lawyer representing the estate of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez is pushing back against rumors that Fernandez’s family is somehow benefiting from the superstar’s death.

Attorney Ralph Fernandez, no relation, said that Maritza Fernandez’s southwest Miami-Dade County home is in foreclosure and that Jose Fernandez’s baby daughter, Penelope, has received no money.

“I lost the biggest support I had, and now the house is in foreclosure. I’m bracing for the worst,” said the pitcher’s mother, Maritza Fernandez.

Ralph Fernandez recently filed a 167-page response to the multimillion-dollar lawsuit holding Jose Fernandez responsible for the deaths of Emilio Macias and Eduardo Rivero in the high-speed boat crash. 

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s final report said Jose Fernandez was operating the boat when it crashed into a jetty at Government Cut on Sept. 25, 2016. The report found the 32-foot center console boat, named Caught Looking, was traveling at 65 mph when it crashed.

Investigators said Jose Fernandez’s DNA was found on the boat’s steering wheel and throttle, leading them to conclude Jose Fernandez was operating the boat in “a reckless manner.” An autopsy found that he had been using cocaine and alcohol before the crash.

Ralph Fernandez’s lawsuit alleges investigators planted evidence to make it appear Jose Fernandez was driving the boat. The lawsuit also maintains that someone spiked Jose Fernandez’s drinks with illegal drugs before the crash.

“I think there was an evolution in this case from a mistake to a coverup. And then a creation to defend the position,” Ralph Fernandez said.

Ralph Fernandez said the FWC report has led to consequences.

“There was supposed to be a street naming, a park, a statue, and now because of the bad info in this report going public, it’s all gone,” Ralph Fernandez said.

Maritza Fernandez said she received a phone call last month from Marlins management. Team officials asked her to clear out her son’s old locker, which she believed would remain untouched as a clubhouse memorial.

The Marlins said in a statement: “We have remained in constant contact with Jose’s family and wanted to provide an appropriate lasting memorial to Jose.  We discussed all of these plans with his family.”

Follow this story

Jose Fernandez’s lawyer claims investigators planted evidence

A lawyer representing the estate of Jose Fernandez is challenging a state report that found the Miami Marlins pitcher was responsible when he and two others were killed off the coast of Miami Beach in a 2016 boat crash.

Attorney Ralph Fernandez, who is not related to the pitcher, filed a document in Miami-Dade County Court this week, claiming that state investigators tampered with evidence to make it appear Jose Fernandez was behind the wheel at the time of the crash.

Ralph Fernandez is representing the estate in two wrongful death lawsuits filed by the families of the two passengers — Emilio Macias and Eduardo Rivero. Both are seeking $2 million in damages.

“The law enforcement investigation that led to the incident report and the conclusions reached therein was fraught with false statements of fact, implicated practically unheard of destruction of evidence and included references to evidence that never existed,” Ralph Fernandez wrote in the document.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s final report said Jose Fernandez was operating the boat when it crashed into a jetty at Government Cut on Sept. 25, 2016. The report found the boat was traveling at 65 mph when it crashed.

Investigators said Jose Fernandez’s DNA was found on the boat’s steering wheel and throttle, leading them to conclude Jose Fernandez was operating the boat in “a reckless manner.” An autopsy found that Jose Fernandez had been using cocaine and alcohol before the crash. 

Ralph Fernandez said in the document that Jose Fernandez had tested positive for cocaine and alcohol use because he and Rivero were “unwitting recipients of a spiked drink or a mickey of sorts.”

Follow this story

Marlins trade Ozuna to Cardinals, reports say

Just days after trading their best player, the Marlins have reportedly dealt their second best player to the St. Louis Cardinals.

Craig Mish of SiriusXM Radio reports the Marlins will send outfielder Marcell Ozuna to St. Louis. No other parts of the deal were released.

MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez says the trade is contingent on Ozuna passing a physical to make the deal official.

Any trade involving Ozuna is expected to bring the Marlins a much better haul than that of the deal that sent Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees last week.

Last season, Ozuna hit .312 with 37 home runs and 124 RBI’s, all career highs for the 27-year-old who is eligible to become a free agent until 2020, according to ESPN.

Follow this story

Report: Stanton gives Marlins list of possible trade teams

It may not be an entire foot, but it appears Giancarlo Stanton has at least stuck a toe or two out the door of the Marlins clubhouse.

MLB.com reports Stanton’s representatives have given the Marlins a list of teams to which he’d be willing to accept a trade.

The report claims the Dodgers are at, or near the top of Stanton’s wish list as the National League MVP grew up in Southern California. No other team has been revealed to be on the list.

However, trading a Marlins uniform for one with the Dodgers script logo is not easy due to salary concerns. With Los Angeles expected to exceed the luxury tax threshold next season, Stanton’s massive $295 million bill would force the team to pay an exorbitant amount to bring on the perennial All-Star.

If a Stanton deal to the Dodgers was completed, the report mentions Yasiel Puig as part of the package that could be sent to Miami.

The MLB.com report adds that Stanton has yet to formally reject any trade offer presented to him.

Follow this story

Jeter has no problem with Marlins players kneeling during anthem

New Marlins co-owner Derek Jeter says he has no problem with his players taking a knee during the national anthem.

Jeter made the comments Wednesday night at a dinner for his Turn 2 Foundation.

“The thing that I think is frustrating, this whole rhetoric that is going back and forth. People lose sight of the fact of why someone was kneeling,” said Jeter according to the New York Daily News. “They’re focused so much on the fact that they are kneeling as opposed to what they’re kneeling for. Peaceful protests are fine. You have your right to voice your opinion. As long as it’s a peaceful protest, everyone should be fine with that.”

Jeter’s comments supporting the rights of players to protest comes as the NFL is deeply embroiled in the controversy.

President Trump has spoken out against NFL players taking a knee during the anthem, going so far as to asking team owners to fire them if they continue their actions.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said over the weekend that he would bench any player that kneeled during the playing of the anthem.

Follow this story