Doctor urges safety while watching Great American Eclipse

The Great American Eclipse is just one week away, and a local ophthalmologist wants to make sure you and your family watch it safely.

Dr. Roberto Warman, the director of ophthalmology at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, is giving all his patients the proper NASA-certified protective glasses, along with a stern warning.

“It doesn’t work with binoculars or a telescope or with your phone,” Warman said. “You need this protection.”

On Aug.  21, millions of people will look to the sky as the moon crosses the sun.

In South Florida, we will see a partial solar eclipse. If parents want their children to view it, they must get the proper viewing glasses with the ISO seal, proving it’s NASA certified with the proper protective filter.

The glasses must be in perfect condition, with no creases or scratches, and when used, it must cover both eyes perfectly.

“Every child that looks has to be supervised,” Warman said. “And if they look, they have to have this protection.”

Warman’s stern message to his patients seems to be getting through.
 
“I think it’s very exciting to watch, and I know it can damage your eyes, so I have to be prepared,” sixth-grader Mallory Williams said.
 
“I think it’s cool but scary,” fourth-grader Grace Williams said.

Click here for more information about the Great American Eclipse.

Follow this story

Miami-Dade police Maj. Ricky Carter returns to work after motorcycle crash

Miami-Dade Police Maj. Ricky Carter returned to work Monday, months after he was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash on Interstate 75.

Authorities said Carter was off-duty and riding his personal motorcycle May 7 on I-75 near Miami Lakes when he slid off the road and struck a guardrail.

He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where his leg was amputated.

Police said he was heading to a fundraiser when he crashed.

Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez posted a photo of Carter Monday on Twitter with the caption: “#RickyStrong is back at the table. Orange shirt and all. Looking good and planning away. Unbelievable courage and faith!” 

Carter, who is a 21-year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department, is commander of the department’s Northside District.

Follow this story

3 thieves steal nearly $3,000 worth of cellphones from Sunrise kiosk

The owner of a cellphone kiosk at the Sawgrass Mills mall in Sunrise is hoping someone recognizes three crooks who were captured on surveillance video running off with nearly $3,000 worth of phones in plain sight.

“Once the employee put them over the counter, they just grabbed them and (ran) away,” Luis Barrios, of Unlocked Phones and Repairs, said.

Barrios said he couldn’t believe his eyes after reviewing surveillance video of the three thieves taking off with his merchandise.

“It’s very scary, not only for us,” he said. “Also for the customers.”

Barrios said one of his employees was speaking with two young women and a young man at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday to sell them a few cellphones.

Surveillance video shows them leaving and coming back about 15 minutes later.

Barrios said they told his employee that their mom was going to buy them new iPhones before school started.

But the moment the employee turned her back on them, one of the women grabbed all three phones and they took off.

The employee chased after them, but couldn’t catch up.

After checking the surveillance cameras, Barrios noticed the same three individuals had been casing out another one of his stores in the same mall.

This wasn’t the first time Barrios has been targeted.

He said someone smashed out the back windshield of his car just a few weeks ago and got away with more than $20,000 worth of phones and accessories.

He said he worries that this trend could put him out of business.

“(I could) lose my business, my employees will lose their jobs and it’s going to be a disaster for my family and their families,” Barrios said.

Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS.

Follow this story

US Rep. Carlos Curbelo seeks more permanent solution for Haitian families living under TPS

U.S. Rep. Carlos Curbelo spoke to Local 10 News Monday about the future of Haitians who depend on temporary protected status, known as TPS.

The congressman, as well as advocates and lawyers, listened, learned and brainstormed ways to help some 50,000 Haitians whose temporary protected status in the U.S. ends in January.

“There’s been tremendous insecurity in the community about this,” said Steve Forester, of the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti. 

“For the South Florida economy, the impact would be disastrous,” Curbelo said.

Haitian nationals have been afforded TPS since the 2010 earthquake there, and the policy has been repeatedly renewed because Haiti has not fully recovered.

The country has since endured a cholera epidemic and suffered damage from another hurricane just last year.

The goal is to eventually find a long-term and more permanent solution for Haitians who have built their lives in the U.S.

“People have made ties here,” said Adonia Simpson, of Americans for Immigrant Justice. “They have family members here, U.S. citizen children, they own businesses, they own homes.”

South Florida lawmakers across party lines unanimously support extending protections for Haitians. 

Curbelo is now considering taking the issue up to the rest of Congress.

“Maybe it’s time for members of Congress to put their names next to a legislative vehicle that can provide a permanent solution for these Haitian families who have been a part of our community for so long,” he said. 

Follow this story

Victim’s sister thanks Miami police officer who saved woman from stabbing attack

Miami-Dade police have identified a man who was killed Sunday by an off-duty Miami police officer as Relvy Rodriguez-Palenzuela.

Police said Officer Rafael Horta, 29, was on his way home from work shortly before 7:30 p.m. when he saw Rodriguez-Palenzuela, 34, stabbing a woman at the intersection of 64th Avenue and Miami Lakes Drive.

Police said the woman’s sister, Yudmila Rodriguez, called 911 and said that her sister, Yurine Rodriguez-Perez, 27, had been shot.

But police said she had actually been stabbed multiple times.

Witnesses said that the officer tried to get Rodriguez-Palenzuela to put down the knife and fired at him when he refused to comply. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

“I just want to say to Officer Horta, thank you for saving my sister’s life. You saved our whole family,” Rodriguez told Horta Monday at a news conference. “If you weren’t there, my sister would be dead. You did the right thing at the right moment. You were there at the right time. My whole family says thank you to you.”

Horta recited a prepared statement at the news conference because the investigation into the shooting is still open.

“While I can’t speak about yesterday’s incident, I’d like to say I’m thankful to be a city of Miami police officer and serving my community,” Horta said. “I pray that Ms. Rodriguez heals from her injuries and I’d like to thank the city for their outpouring of support.”

Police said Rodriguez-Perez was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center, where she is expected to recover.

Her relationship with Rodriguez-Palenzuela was not immediately clear. 

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the shooting. Horta, who has been with the department for less than a year, has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is standard protocol. 

Follow this story

Events reinvigorate battle to change controversial Hollywood street signs

The chain of events that happened over the weekend in Charlottesville are reinvigorating the battle to change controversial street signs in Hollywood.

Some residents have written letters, urging commissioners to change the street signs immediately while several residents are trying to preserve the signs.

The controversial street signs bear the names of Confederate generals (John Bell) Hood, (Nathan Bedford) Forrest and (Robert E.) Lee.

The protests in Charlottesville were sparked by the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue.

“Making changes like this will be a positive step forward,” Carmella Gardner, who lives on Forrest Street, said. 

Carlos Valnera, with the Black Lives Matter Alliance of Broward, went to the streets in question, picking up letters from people who are urging the city to quickly change the street signs because they say they are symbols of racism.

“We’re hoping the city finally decides to do what is right — standing with the people of Hollywood and change these symbols,” Valnera said. “The symbols can be in your private property, it can be in the history books. We should learn from them, but they should not be on public grounds.”

Meanwhile, there are some residents who believe the street signs should stay in place.

Signs with messages, such as “Save our streets,” line the 3300 block of Lee Street.

“Anytime someone wants to change a street name and do away with our history, it’s just absolutely wrong. They can learn from it,” John Jacobs, who lives on Lee Street, said.

“I’m sure it will be a difficulty for some citizens. We’re trying to make greater changes here,” Gardner said. 

The street names will be up for discussion on the Aug. 30 commission meeting in Hollywood. Commissioners could hold a vote that day to either keep or remove the controversial street signs.

 

Follow this story