‘There’s a bomb set to go off in Doral at 3 restaurants,’ man tells 911

A man who called 911 last week and claimed that there were bombs planted at three Doral restaurants has been arrested, police said.

Demond James, 39, faces multiple charges, including falsely reporting a bomb and misuse of the 911 system.

Doral police said James called 911 last Friday, the same day that a bomb exploded in a London subway.

“There’s a bomb set to go off in Doral at three restaurants,” the 911 caller, later identified as James, said.

The caller claimed the bombs were planted at Bulla, Dragonfly and Piola.

“You have 30 minutes,” he said.

When questioned as to the addresses of the restaurants, the caller said, “You’re pushing my patience, ma’am.”

Police evacuated the restaurants and used bomb-sniffing dogs to search them. After an extensive search, police didn’t find any bombs.

According to a police report, detectives determined that the man who placed the call was an employee at Dragonfly. Police said James admitted to making the bomb threat.

When questioned by detectives, James said that he made the threat because he was suicidal and planned to blow up the restaurant to kill himself. If he couldn’t do it, James told police, he planned to engage officers to force them to shoot him.

Police said James has a criminal record that includes a prior arrest for making a bomb threat.

Follow this story

Irma debris removal stalemate won’t be tolerated, Scott says

Gov. Rick Scott and Attorney General Pam Bondi are calling out debris removal contractors who are not acting in good faith in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma.

“This week, I have heard from many local communities from across the state that believe they are being price gouged by debris removal contractors,” Scott said Thursday in a statement. “Many mayors have told me there are companies not following contracts by removing debris. We will not tolerate any attempt by businesses to take advantage of our communities during their time of need, especially in the wake of a natural disaster like Hurricane Irma.”

Many South Florida streets are still littered with yard debris almost two weeks after the storm brushed the region.

So Scott is putting the removal companies with government contracts on notice and asking companies from the state and throughout the country willing to help at a fair price to contact the Florida Department of Transportation.

“We will continue to do all we can to help ensure communities get cleaned up,” Scott said.

Bondi said exploiting municipalities will not be tolerated.

“These contractors should honor their promises to Floridians and do their jobs when they are needed most,” Bondi said.

Follow this story

Burglar at large after stealing $4,000 worth of jewelry from home

A burglar who stole $4,000 worth of jewelry from a northwest Miami-Dade apartment remained at large Thursday,  Miami-Dade police said.The burglary took place Aug. 28 in the 8900 block of Northwest Eighth Street.Investigators said the burglar …

Follow this story

Residents fed up with debris left behind by Irma

Pembroke Pines resident Joel Mintzer is fed up with the mess Hurricane Irma has left behind.

Driving around Broward County, you cannot help but notice the tree debris lying on the side of the roads.

“I said look, it’d be worth it charging $25 or $50 extra just to get rid of this stuff, because it’s going to bring a lot of rodents, a lot of animals, and it’s not worth it,” Mintzer said.

Several HOAs in Broward County want all of this debris removed and have the option of using the city but cannot wait two or three months, so they’ve opted to bring in private companies to remove the debris.

Plantation resident Howard Talenfeld worries about the health hazard this could cause if something isn’t done soon.

“While the rats multiply and we have hazards, public health hazards, we don’t know how long,” Talenfeld said.

Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief said even if the city does pick up the debris, there’s another major roadblock.

“What we’re experiencing right now is price-gouging and competition,” she said. “Miami-Dade County is now paying more than the Broward contracts have paid.”

 Sharief said these are contractors that have existing contracts with these cities.

“That’s one of the things that we are saying it’s really disheartening that at a time that they need it they know that the contracts are there for emergency purposes and they are saying ‘OK, I want more money and that’s it.'”

Follow this story

King Carter’s family suffers another loss when family member is killed

Tawana Akins said getting a phone call Friday morning that someone had shot and killed her nephew, Ralph Carr, felt like a recurring nightmare.

“I’m like , no, this cannot be happening again to our family because this is the fifth family member and the fourth nephew that I lost,” Akin said.

In February 2016, she rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center because another nephew, King Carter, had been shot.

He was 6 years old.

“I saw the helicopter airlifting him to the hospital and I ran every light to get there,” she said. “But when we got there a few minutes later they came out and said he was gone.”

King was walking to the store to buy candy, caught in the crossfire of a shootout in northwest Miami-Dade County. Police arrested three teenagers after the shooting.

Akins said her family wants answers about who killed Carr, who was 24 years old.

“He went downstairs to get into his vehicle, and as he was getting into his vehicle he was shot up by two black males,” she said.

Akins said he was leaving an apartment complex on Northwest 70th Street near Eighth Avenue. Bullet holes mark the railings and a small memorial now sits outside.

“No one wants to say anything and it’s going to keep on happening and happening and happening,” Akins said.

She said acts of violence prevent young people from “fulfilling their dreams.”

Follow this story

Bicyclist dies following crash in Broward County, deputies say

A man has died after being struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle in the 1800 block of South State Road 7 on Tuesday, deputies said.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office said the bicyclist, who has not been identified, was struck just before 6 p.m. when he rode off of the median and into a pickup truck and was then thrown off his bike.

Deputies said the driver of the pickup truck, Nicholi Seelal, 48, stopped and called for help.

A Florida Highway Patrol trooper who was driving by stopped and began emergency care until a Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue crew arrived, deputies said.

The Sheriff’s Office said the bicyclist was taken to Broward Health Medical Center with life-threatening injuries and died the following day.

Deputies said investigators believe Seelal was driving at or near the 40 mph speed limit, but are continuing their investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Donnard Huneke at 954-321-4842.

Follow this story