Man fatally stabbed trying to protect his mother, police say

Marquise Reeves was fatally stabbed earlier this month while trying to protect his mother.

And on Monday, the 24-year-old man’s relatives prepared for his funeral. 

Reeves was home when his mother Stephanie Gardner and her boyfriend Richard Walker, 34, got into a verbal argument at about 11 p.m. July 16 in the 2300 block of Charleston Street , Hollywood police said.

Reeves was stabbed after he got involved in the dispute and began physically fighting with Walker, police said. He was found on the floor, and later died at Memorial Regional Hospital. 

Walker fled the residence before police arrived and then turn himself in to police, according to a media release. He was arrested on a homicide charge.

“He wasn’t a violent person,” Timothy Reeves said about his son. “My son was a hardworking young man and he was only speaking up on behalf of his mom. Unfortunately, it cost him his life.”

A wake for Marquise Reeves is expected to take place at 6 p.m.  Thursday at Aj Manuel Funeral Home, at 2328 N. Dixie Highway.  

His family is asking for donations to help pay for the service. To donate click here

Follow this story

Man fatally stabbed trying to protect his mother, police say

Marquise Reeves was fatally stabbed earlier this month while trying to protect his mother.

Now, the 24-year-old man’s relatives are preparing for his funeral. 

Reeves was home when his mother, Stephanie Gardner, and her boyfriend, Richard Walker, 34, got into a verbal argument at about 11 p.m. July 16 in the 2300 block of Charleston Street, Hollywood police said.

Reeves was stabbed after he got involved in the dispute and began fighting with Walker, police said. He was found on the floor and later died at Memorial Regional Hospital. 

Walker fled the residence before police arrived and then turn himself in to police, according to a media release. He was arrested on a homicide charge.

“He wasn’t a violent person,” Timothy Reeves said Monday about his son. “My son was a hardworking young man, and he was only speaking up on behalf of his mom and, unfortunately, it cost him his life.”

A wake for Marquise Reeves is expected to take place at 6 p.m. Thursday at A.J. Manuel Funeral Home, 2328 N. Dixie Highway.  

His family is asking for donations to help pay for the service. To donate, click here

Follow this story

Portion of Hollywood’s Young Circle blocked off due to police activity

A portion of Hollywood’s Young Circle was closed off Sunday morning after a man began throwing objects from a crane positioned next to a high-rise building.

Hollywood police arrived at the building, which is under construction, at about 4 a.m. 

The man has screamed periodically at police and mentioned calling someone named Rachel. 

Police are asking people to avoid the area of Young Circle from Van Buren Street to Tyler Street due to the ongoing incident. 

Further information was not readily available. 

 

Follow this story

Naked man on crane throws objects during 10-hour standoff with Hollywood police

A portion of Hollywood’s Young Circle was closed off Sunday after a distraught man got into a 10-hour standoff with police.

Hollywood police said they got a call about noises coming from a closed construction site at about 3 a.m. and when they arrived they found Travis Bernard Bray naked and climbing a 300-foot construction crane. 

During the 10-hour standoff police created a hoist to give the 27-year-old man food, water and clothing, police said. 

At one point, Bray began throwing construction equipment, which ranged from small pieces of plastic to metal, down the crane. He also screamed periodically at police and mentioned calling someone named Rachel. 

Eventually,  police negotiators and SWAT team leaders were able to encourage him to climb down. 

Once back on the ground, Bray was shocked with a stun gun and then arrested on charges of criminal mischief, vandalism and trespassing, police said. He was also taken to an area hospital under the Baker Act for a psychological evaluation. 

 

 

Follow this story

Robbers target off-duty police officer in Hollywood, police say

Two robbers targeted an off-duty North Miami Beach police officer early Wednesday in Hollywood, authorities said.

Hollywood police spokeswoman Miranda Grossman said the incident happened in the 300 block of Minnesota Street.

Bob Ferro, who owns Nick’s Bar & Grill, told Local 10 News reporter Glenna Milberg that the officer and a woman were walking on Hollywood Beach after eating at a beachside restaurant when they were ambushed by two young armed males. 

Ferro said the couple was likely walking to their car when the incident occurred, which was captured on his surveillance cameras at his business. 

Ferro said the officer pulled out his gun and fired at the robbers, who ran away. 

“The officer shot at him. They just ran when they saw his weapon,” he said. 

Several people staying in nearby apartments and hotels said they heard the shot and saw the yellow tape that marked off the crime scene until mid-morning.

“Detectives, they were looking for something. They were very discreet about their business, that’s for sure,” one witness said. 

Authorities said no one was hurt. 

Grossman said the would-be thieves did not get away with any property from the victims.

No arrests have been made.

“I’m sure they’ll catch them. They got vivid pictures of them,” Ferro said.  

Grossman said the investigation is ongoing and no further details would be released at this time.

The North Miami Beach Police Department has not publicly commented on the shooting.  

Anyone with information is asked to call Hollywood police or Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS. 

Follow this story