Man accused of striking woman with screwdriver during robbery in Hialeah

A 42-year-old man was arrested Thursday, a day after he struck a woman with a screwdriver during a robbery in Hialeah, authorities said.

The incident was reported just after 10 a.m. outside a beauty salon at 846 SE Eighth St.

According to an arrest report, the victim was opening up the salon when Jorde Harold approached her, pulled out a screwdriver and demanded her purse.

Police said Harold forcibly took the victim’s purse and struck her with the screwdriver.

The woman followed Harold and struggled to get back her purse as he was entering his getaway car, police said.

Authorities said Harold drove off, dragging the victim a short distance.

The victim suffered scrapes and bruises from the incident.

Police said the getaway vehicle was recovered later in the day after it was abandoned in Miami.

Police said the 1994 Honda Accord had been reported stolen in Miami on July 6.

Harold was identified after the vehicle was processed for fingerprints, the arrest report said.

Hialeah police arrested him Thursday night at a trailer park at 2036 NW 27th Ave. in Miami.

Records show that Harold was released from prison in December after serving nearly 20 years for an armed carjacking. 

He was on probation when he robbed the latest victim, police said.

Harold faces charges of armed robbery, aggravated battery, violating terms of his probation and grand theft of a vehicle. 

Follow this story

Judge withdraws plea deal for woman charged in crash that seriously injured Javier Perez

A South Florida woman accepted a plea deal Friday for a DUI crash that seriously injured the former principal of South Dade Senior High School.

However, Miami-Dade County Judge Diane Ward withdrew the plea deal. Marilyn Aguilera’s trial has been set to begin Dec. 11. 

The judge initially didn’t sign off on the deal because of concern about medication that Aguilera said she took in the morning. 

As part of the deal, Marilyn Aguilera would have pleaded guilty to three counts of DUI and would have been sentenced to four years in prison.

She would also have been sentenced to a year of house arrest following her release and two years of probation.

The former high school principal, Javier Perez, lost both his legs in the April 26, 2016, crash and another man, Elias Espinoza, was also injured.

Police said Aguilera was driving drunk when she struck the victims at a children’s baseball game at a West Kendall park.

Authorities said Aguilera remained at the scene after the crash.

Aguilera hired a new attorney this week, who told reporters that she is a childhood friend of the defendant and that she has agreed to represent her pro bono.

“This is unusual because she couldn’t pay her other lawyer,” Ana Davide said after a hearing on Monday. “Because she’s unemployed, she’s a single mom and has no money.”

Aguilera told the judge Friday that she took medication in the morning and Ward questioned her about the side effects of the drugs.

The judge admonished Aguilera earlier in court, telling her to “act like an adult and raise your right hand.”

Ward withdrew the plea deal after asking Aguilera whether she was OK with her representation and Aguilera began talking about the faults of her former attorney. 

Prosecutor Laura Adams said the plea deal was a below-guidelines offer because the victims wanted closure. 

Follow this story

Subway employee critically injured after being struck by car on way to work

A woman was critically injured Friday morning after she was struck by a vehicle while walking to work, authorities said.

The hit-and-run crash was reported at about 5:45 a.m. at the intersection of Stirling Road and University Drive.

Davie police said a witness who was stopped at a red light heard a bang and saw the victim, Marrykutty George, being thrown into the air.

The witness said he saw a silver vehicle, believed to be a Nissan, heading south after the crash.

Detectives said that based on evidence on the roadway, it appears that the vehicle was heading east on Sitrling Road and was turning south onto University Drive when it struck George.

Broken headlight lens pieces were found at the scene, but had no identifying marks or numbers on them, detectives said.

George was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital, where she is listed in critical condition.

Police said she suffered several broken bones and a head injury. She also suffered a small brain bleed, but there is no pressure that would require surgery at this time, authorities said.

CAT scans will be done later to monitor her recovery process.

Authorities said George was unconscious at the hospital due to the medication she was receiving, but was responding to chest and sternum rubs.

Police said George’s daughter said her mother was walking to the Subway at 8755 Stirling Road, where she works, when the crash occurred.

Authorities said the silver vehicle that struck George is believed to have front-right-side damage or at least a broken headlight.

Anyone with information is asked to call Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS. 

 

Follow this story

Man arrested for raping teen girl after DNA evidence links him to child, police say

A 48-year-old man was arrested Thursday on a sexual battery charge after DNA evidence linked him to the child of the 17-year-old victim, police said.

George Simms Jr. was taken into custody by U.S. marshals Thursday morning in Delray Beach, Boynton Beach police spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said. He faces one count of sexual battery.

According to a Boynton Beach police report, the teenage girl told police that she was raped by Simms in February 2016. She told police that she was at a party in Boynton Beach, had a glass of liquor and felt a bit “tipsy” when she left with a friend to go to a store.

After the friend left, Simms started kissing the girl, she told police. She told him “no” as he proceeded to take off their pants and rape her, the report said.

In April 2016, the girl learned that she was pregnant. When police questioned Simms about the alleged incident in May 2016, he denied having any sexual relationship with the teen and agreed to provide a sample of his DNA, the report said.

After the teen gave birth in October 2016, police obtained consent to collect DNA from the newborn baby. The DNA evidence was sent to a laboratory for testing, and the results came back last month.

The DNA report indicated that Simms cannot “be excluded as the biological father,” police said. It determined that the “odds are 150 billion times more likely” that Simms is the father instead of someone else, police said.

Follow this story

Woman dupes 85-year-old widower, leaves him bankrupt, police say

A 49-year-old woman is accused of defrauding an 85-year-old Pembroke Pines man who was seeking a relationship after the death of his wife, police said.

Nancy Guy was arrested Thursday on a first-degree grand theft charge.

Pembroke Pines police said Guy took more than $300,000 from the man, leaving him bankrupt.

According to a Pembroke Pines police report, Guy contacted the man on an online dating website and became involved in a relationship with him. Police said she introduced herself as Anna Miller and told the man, during the course of their relationship, that she needed money to expand her business.

Police said Guy claimed that a flood in her warehouse destroyed $400,000 worth of dresses that she had made and promised to pay him back if he helped her, advancing funds from his credit card to her PayPal account.

The alleged scam went on from 2013 until November 2015, when the man told Guy that he didn’t have any more money. He turned to his son for help, but his son wasn’t buying it and alerted police.

Police said Guy called the man and asked him why he had filed a police report about her. During their conversation, Guy claimed that her phone was broken and promised to call him when she got a new one, but that was the last he heard from her, according to the report.

The man told police that he had his car repossessed and had to file for bankruptcy because of Guy’s scam.

Follow this story

Man killed, 2 injured in Fort Lauderdale shooting

A man died Thursday night during a shooting in Fort Lauderdale, police said.

At about 6:20 p.m., a gunman opened fire on a car while it was traveling through the intersection of Northwest 16th Street and Northwest 15th Terrace.

The driver, a man, died at the scene and his two female passengers were hurt, police said. The passengers were taken to an area hospital.

“All I know is they were shooting into the car,” a witness said. “I don’t know what for.” 

The witness, who didn’t want to be named, said the gunshots sounded like firecrackers. 

“I was standing right here and when I heard the third shot I ran to the corner,” he said. “That’s when I saw the dudes, well, one dude, shooting into the car right there.” 

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS.

 

 

 

Follow this story