Drone camera captures shark feeding frenzy

A drone camera captured aerial footage of sharks on a feeding frenzy.

Tovi Sonnenberg recorded the moment when several sharks feasted on a school of fish. The predators’ feast also included dolphins and whales. 

Sonnenberg shot the footage off the coast of Bridgehampton, New  York, and shared it on YouTube earlier this week. 

Follow this story

WSJ staffers unhappy with cautious treatment of President Trump

The Wall Street Journal’s cautious treatment of President Trump has created internal strife at the storied paper and raised questions about its editor-in-chief, Gerard Baker, several Journal sources have told CNNMoney.

Baker’s latest demonstration — a series of late-night emails urging editors to soften the paper’s coverage of Trump’s Phoenix speech, even to the point of removing context — left some Journal staffers frustrated and discouraged, those sources said.

“Sorry. This is commentary dressed up as reporting,” Baker wrote of one draft of an article about the speech in emails obtained by The New York Times. “Could we please just stick to reporting what he said rather than packaging it in exegesis and selective criticism?”

The portions of the draft that were removed from the final article included context about how the president’s speech differed from statements he had made the day before. One passage that was edited out called Trump’s speech “an off-script return to campaign form” that “pivoted away from remarks a day earlier in which he solemnly called for unity.”

A line that described the Charlottesville protests as “reshaping” Trump’s presidency was also removed from the final article.

Both Baker and a Journal spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment regarding the emails.

Baker’s cautious approach to Trump has been a source of frustration to many Journal staffers for some time now.

Earlier this month, Politico published a transcript of the Journal’s most recent interview with Trump. The interview, which was led by Baker himself, cast the editor-in-chief as overly chummy with the president.

At the time, some staffers told CNNMoney they believed that Baker was going out of his way to be deferential to Trump in order to maintain access to the White House and proximity to power. Staffers also chafe at Baker’s insistence on conducting the interviews with Trump himself, rather than letting the paper’s journalists take the lead.

Other sources who spoke with CNNMoney cautioned that such frustrations were overblown. They said the Journal has always prided itself on being cautious and judicious in its reporting, and touted the paper’s aggressive ongoing coverage of Trump’s business entanglements.

The Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox News and has become very close to the president and his administration. Sources at both the White House and in Murdoch’s orbit say the two men talk multiple times a week.

Baker has defended his paper’s coverage of Trump before. In a town hall meeting with employees in February, he stressed the importance of being objective rather than oppositional, and said the notion that the Journal went easy on Trump was “fake news.”

Baker has also sent memos to employees stressing the importance of “balance,” a word some staffers have come to interpret as code for softer coverage.

Follow this story

Former black supremacist spreads ‘Blacks for Trump’ message

During President Donald Trump’s speech in Phoenix, it was impossible not to notice Maurice Symonette, also known as Michael Symonette and Maurice Woodside, and better known as “Michael The Blackman.” 

The South Florida man was standing behind the president Tuesday night, and he was holding his “Blacks for Trump” sign again. He has also worn his “Trump and Republicans are not racist” T-shirt to other Trump rallies around the country where has also gotten preferential sitting arrangements. 

His affiliation to the Nation of Yahweh, a black supremacist religious movement founded in Miami, was not on the sign. The conspiracy theorist who supports Republicans said he doesn’t know if Trump’s campaign organizers were aware of the charges he and other Yahweh followers faced. He was acquitted. 

“I really don’t know if he knows. I really haven’t asked him, but you know Moses was accused of murder but he was still a Messiah,” Symonette said about Hulon Mitchell, Jr., the leader of the separatist sect who was convicted of conspiring to murder whites as the cult’s initiation rite. 

The 58-year-old self-proclaimed minister wore his message on a T-shirt Wednesday to show his support at an event in Doral with Vice President Mike Pence.

Outside of the convention center in Phoenix, protesters and police officers clashed. The signs were not as friendly to Trump: “Toxic Trump” and “Lock Him Up!” There were also pictures of the president with a Hitler-style mustache. 

“I love Trump because he is letting the real white man and the real black man get some money,” Symonette said during a long rant mentioning Clinton and his position on federal taxes and government regulation. 

Symonette said he runs the Boss Group Ministries, also known as the Full Gospel of Christ Fellowship, out of Miami-Dade. When Symonette attended Trump’s rally last year, some conservatives used Symonette’s sign as a hashtag to show that Republicans aren’t racist.

Records show Symonette ran Boss Title, Virtuous Women United and Freedom Fighters International out of 1175 NE 125 St. in North Miami. He ran Boss Group Ministries and Boss Group Foundations out of 15020 South River Dr., near Opa-locka.  

Last year, the FCC issued a warning against the organization for running an unauthorized radio broadcast and authorities responded to the organization’s home to investigate two deaths. 

Symonette said the Trump campaign doesn’t pay him to attend his campaign rallies with the “Blacks for Trump” sign and he waits in line like everybody else.

“I raise my own money … One time I had a companion pass and when I had that companion pass I was flying everywhere because I could fly for free so a lot of times me, him and the brothers would drive to the events.”

 

Symonette’s rant Wednesday in Doral

Follow this story

Amazon-Whole Foods merger gets green light from U.S. government

The U.S. government won’t try to stop Amazon’s $13.7 billion takeover of Whole Foods, a deal that has massive implications for both e-commerce and how we shop for food.

The Federal Trade Commission announced Wednesday that it’s looked into whether the merger would hurt competition and has decided to drop its investigation.

“We have decided not to pursue this matter further,” the FTC said in a statement.

No other government agencies need to give their okay.

“As far as antitrust approval, it’s done,” said James Cooper, an economics professor at George Mason University and former FTC official.

Earlier Wednesday, Whole Foods shareholders voted to approve the takeover, which has sailed along since it was announced in June.

Amazon said on Wednesday the deal is on track to be completed but did not respond to a request for comment on when the company expects to wrap things up.

Meanwhile, many traditional brick-and-mortar stores are scrambling.

Shares of supermarkets, including Kroger and SuperValu, plummeted on news of the acquisition.

Few doubt Amazon’s loud entry into the grocery space will change the game. The company already has its own delivery serviced called AmazonFresh and has been experimenting with a “click and collect” system in which customers buy their groceries online and then pick them up in person.

But some things will stay the same — at least for now. Amazon has said Whole Foods stores will continue to operate under the same name as a separate unit of the company, and that Whole Foods CEO John Mackey will keep leading the brand from its headquarters in Austin, Texas.

Follow this story

Step up your school lunch game: A guide

Many parents have the packed-lunch thing down to a science: Throw a sandwich, an apple, some veggies or chips into a lunchbox, and call it a day. But it’s not always that easy. Or maybe you have a picky eater on your hands, and the school year poses a real challenge.

Let’s spice up the menu, shall we?

  • Instead of a sandwich, you could pack up or prepare a wrap — perhaps chicken salad, egg salad, or tuna salad

  • Parfaits — just layer yogurt, fresh fruit, and granola

  • Quesadillas — think outside the box, these can include more than just chicken and cheese! Experiment with black beans, or even spinach and mushrooms

  • Smoothies — they’re a great way to sneak in fruits and vegetables, plus, you can make a big batch ahead of time. Just freeze, and then find an appropriate container to make the idea lunchbox-friendly

  • Eggs — hard-boiled likely would work best

  • Pasta salad — an easy way to use up any extra veggies cluttering up your crisper

  • Homemade chicken nuggets — make a big batch and freeze

  • Soups — chicken noodle, split pea, tomato … another easy idea to prepare ahead of time, and then serve leftovers (you’ll have to pack in re-sealable containers). You could even use your slow cooker, to save even more time

  • Homemade macaroni and cheese — not as difficult as you’d imagine; always a great opportunity to throw in some broccoli or spinach

  • A taco bar — you could create a take-to-school version with some Tupperware. It’s like a homemade Lunchable

  • Lunch skewers — stack a sandwich on here (in fourths), or even fruits or veggies

  • As already noted in some of these bullets, many of these suggestions are easily customizable — or can be prepared well in advance, so that you’re not boiling noodles at 6 a.m. on a workday. Bon appetit!

Follow this story

‘Sonic device’ mystery in Cuba: List of U.S. diplomats’ ailments grows

After the U.S. embassy opened in Cuba in 2015 not everyone on the communist island was willing to welcome the group of U.S. diplomats who moved to Havana.

The extent of the aggressions they faced while former President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro moved to normalize relations between the two Cold War foes is still unclear. 

The U.S. State Department asked The University of Miami Health System for help with at least six of their employees earlier this year. Investigators later considered the possibility of a covert sonic device used to spy on the diplomats or to threaten them with a “health attack.” 

“It took time to figure out what it was and this is still ongoing,” the U.S. State Department’s Heather Nauert said during a news conference early in August. She also said, “we don’t know exactly where [covert sonic device] came from.”

U.S. laws protect the privacy of the diplomats’ medical records. While most of the details remain a mystery, the State Department confirmed there were diplomats who suffered hearing loss. Their complaints included nausea, headaches and feelings of disorientation. 

CNN reported at least one needed a hearing aid. The New York Times reported one had a more serious illness that involved a blood disorder. And on Wednesday, CBS News reported some diplomats suffered traumatic brain injuries and damage to the central nervous system during the “health attacks.”

The U.S. expelled two Cuban diplomats in May 23. The Cuban Foreign Ministry released a statement saying “Cuba has never allowed or will it allow the Cuban territory to be used for any action against accredited diplomatic officials or their families, without exception.”

Cubans have good relations with Canadians, so there was confusion when the Canadian Global Affairs spokeswoman Brianne Maxwell said in August that at least one of their diplomats in Cuba was also treated for hearing loss. 

“The government is actively working — including with U.S. and Cuban authorities — to ascertain the cause,” Maxwell said. 

FBI agents are assisting the State Department’s bureau of diplomatic security with the investigation. U.S. and Cuban officials will meet next month. 

 

Follow this story