California firefighters were called to an apartment building after a man tried to light a spider on fire, causing widespread damage.
In an attempt to kill the "huge" arachnid by lighting it on fire with a lighter, the spider ran onto a mattress, setting it on fire. The fire spread to the drapes and other flammable items, ultimately causing an estimated $11,000 in damage.
Resident tried to extinguish the fire themselves with a garden hose, but their efforts were unsuccessful. The Redding Record Searchlight reports all residents escaped unharmed, but are now forced to find another place to live.
This BBSNews article originally appeared on News | WPLG.