North Korea warned Sunday that the upcoming US-South Korea military exercises are "reckless behavior driving the situation into the uncontrollable phase of a nuclear war."
Pyongyang also declared that its army can target the United States anytime, and neither Guam, Hawaii nor the US mainland can "dodge the merciless strike."
The messages in Rodong Sinmun, the official government newspaper, come a day before the US starts the Ulchi Freedom Guardian military exercises with South Korea on Monday.
Tensions between the two nations have grown in recent weeks, forcing China to step in and urge restraint.
Just last week, Pyongyang said it had finalized a plan to fire four missiles toward the US territory of Guam. State media reported that leader Kim Jong Un would assess the US' next move before giving launch orders.
"The Trump group's declaration of the reckless nuclear war exercises against the DPRK ... is a reckless behavior driving the situation into the uncontrollable phase of a nuclear war," the paper said, using the acronym for Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the nation's official name.
It described North Korea as the "strongest possessor" of intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of striking the US mainland from anywhere.
"The Korean People's Army is keeping a high alert, fully ready to contain the enemies. It will take resolute steps the moment even a slight sign of the preventive war is spotted," it said.
It did not provide any details on what it meant by "preventive war."
Military exercises to continue
Last week, a top US general said military exercises with South Korea are not up for negotiation.
US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford told reporters during a visit to Beijing there would no scaling back of planned military exercises despite the recent tensions with North Korea.
The annual drills antagonize Pyongyang, which sees them as practice for an invasion. However, the US and South Korea maintain they are purely defensive.
As tensions escalate, South Korean President Moon Jae-in promised his citizens last week there "will be no war on the Korean Peninsula ever again."
Moon, who took office in May, announced on his 100th day in office that US and South Korean policies are aligned on North Korea.
US President Donald Trump assured South Korea he would consult with them before making any military decisions on North Korea, according to Moon.
Moon said North Korea's development of nuclear weapons technology was "nearing" a red line, which he described as "completing an ICBM and weaponizing it with a nuclear head."
North Korea claims it has successfully miniaturized a nuclear weapon. While some experts believe it may have the technology, others caution that even if it doesn't, North Korea should be taken at its word.
"If North Korea provokes again, it will face with much harsher sanction and won't stand it in the end. I want to warn North Korea to do no more dangerous gambling," Moon said.
His comments about averting war echoed similar statements he made Tuesday that only South Korea could give consent to initiate any conflict with the North.
"The government, putting everything on the line, will block war by all means," Moon said.
This BBSNews article originally appeared on News | WPLG.