China landslide buries more than 100, state media says

More than 140 people are missing after a landslide in southwest China's Sichuan province buried more than 40 houses, the Chinese state-run broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) reported Saturday.

The landslide occurred at 6 a.m. local time in Xinmo village in Mao County, Aba Prefecture, CCTV said.

Emergency response measures have been activated and more than 500 rescuers are on the scene, the broadcaster said, citing provincial fire officials.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered "all-out efforts" to save those buried, China's People's Daily tweeted.

Images from the scene show rescuers working to remove piles of rocks.

A family of three were pulled alive from the rubble on Saturday, the Mao County government said on its official Weibo page. The couple and their baby are being treated at the Mao County People's Hospital, the post said. It did not provide further details on their identities.

There are 141 people still unaccounted for, CCTV said, citing Sichuan Provincial Government Secretary Tang Limin who spoke at a press conference. He said 46 houses had been buried.

The landslide happened at a high part of a mountain and fell onto the village, blocking a 2-kilometer (1.25-mile) section of a river course, China's state-run news agency Xinhua reported.

CCTV originally reported that more than 100 people had been buried.

Mountainous Sichuan province has a history of landslides triggered by flooding and earthquakes.

In 1933 6,800 people died in landslides triggered by an earthquake and a further 2,500 were killed when a dam caused by one of the landslides failed.

This BBSNews article was syndicated from News | WPLG, and written by News | WPLG. Read the original article here.