North Dakota Governor Issue Emergency Declaration: Protests May Cost State $1 Million

Breaking News

13962598_10154419304869770_4604838969056965650_nPublished August 19, 2016

BISMARCK, NORTH DAKOTA – With the steady stream of protesters growing into the area around the Dakota Access pipeline demonstration near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, state and county officials have gone to North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple for financial assistance.

On Friday,  Governor Dalrmple issued an emergency declaration for southwest and south central North Dakota.

While the protesters seem to be a fluid crowd – with people coming and going as their time permits, it is estimated that the crowd has peaked at 1,500 earlier this week.

American Indians from as far away as California, New Mexico and Arizona have come to lend their support of saying “no” to the Dakota Access pipeline.

Greg Wiza, North Dakota’s director of the Homeland Security Division of the state Department of Emergency Services has put a price tag between $750,000 to $1,000,000 for the extra police force, barricades and portable toilets. He said the figure could top $1,000,000 if the demonstrations continue beyond a few weeks.

The governor’s declaration allows local county and state officials to seek extra funding that is required to operate their “security” measures of overseeing the demonstrations that have been peaceful in nature since they began on Thursday, August 11, 2016.

Dakota Access security officials have said they have no evidence that any weapons, such as guns or pipebombs have been part of the demonstrations.

 

 

The post North Dakota Governor Issue Emergency Declaration: Protests May Cost State $1 Million appeared first on Native News Online.

This BBSNews article was syndicated from Native News Online, and written by Levi Rickert. Read the original article here.