Bolivia’s Interior Minister, Carlos Romero, said the country’s right-wing opposition plans to intensify its “dirty war” before the Feb. 21 referendum that will determine whether President Evo Morales can seek a third consecutive term in 2019.
“For sure they will multiply the dirty war in these two weeks, especially because all the polls are clear and trends are favorable for us,” Romero said in a phone interview with local media on Monday.
According to Romero, the war is marked by a series of lies intended to prevent Morales’s re-election.
“The opposition politicians do not have electoral proposals or alternatives, that’s why they just use insults and do not respect Bolivians,” he said.
The referendum, approved by the senate in early November, will ask Bolivians whether a two-term limit for presidents and vice presidents should be amended. The outcome will decide if Morales will be permitted to run for office again.
President Morales, who is also the leader of the Movement Towards Socialism party, known as MAS, has been in power since 2006. He won an astounding 60 percent of the vote in 2015. His campaign to convince Bolivians to vote “Yes” has been launched and promoted across the Andean nation.
Last week, “No” campaigners raised doubts about the accuracy of the electoral poll for the referendum and called for an audit of the entire process. However, the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, which oversees elections, rejected the accusations and expressed confidence in the system.
The “Yes” campaign launched an international Twitter campaign Monday called “tweet for Evo,” which seeks to get more support for the Yes to the reelection of Morales.
This content was originally published by teleSUR.
The post Bolivia’s Right-Wing Opposition Launches ‘Dirty War’ Against Evo Morales appeared first on MintPress News.